The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) ~ Can't delete messages in Outlook Express

(6 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by garymonz
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 4522 times

garymonz

My Outlook Express just recently started to not allow me to delete messages. When I click the delete button I get a one or two second hourglass, and then nothing happens. I think I must have a corrupt file, but I don't know how to delete and reinstall, or even delete and install thurnderbird would work as well. Any ideas?

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

garymonz,
Do you need to keep any of the E-mails in any of the boxes ????
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

garymonz

No, Rick. I've got more than one computer collecting the same emails. So I could trash them all if need be.

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

garymonz,
1 Use Search Advanced Function and search *.dbx files on active drive; probably C:
2 Delete all you find.
3 Close Search.
4 Re-Boot.
5 Open Outlook Express.
6 Send a Test Message to Yourself.
7 When it Comes Back, See if Message Will Delete Properly.
8 Post back as to results.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

garymonz

Did it, and it works now. Thank you very much. Like I said, everything on that computer is duplicated elsewhere. Which file was it that did the trick, out of curiosity?

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

garymonz,
My pleasure to have helped you.
The Deleted Items dbx file was corrupted.
To insure the problem would be solved, I had you delete all dbx files so all new ones would be re-made when you opened Outlook Express for the first time again.
If you had wanted to save the messages in a corrupted dbx file, we would have used the program db-extract to save the messages before we destroyed the corrupt file.
Too bad MS did away with the little Outlook Express E-mail client because it was a very nice and simple program for folks to use and work with. It would do many, many things you are probably not even aware of.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.