The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Can't delete file

(14 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by rosakw
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3556 times

rosakw

I was trying to move a photo that I scanned to a folder in My Documents a long time ago. I was moving all the photos in that folder and they all moved successfully except this one. Every time I try to either move it or delete it a box pops up with this error message: "Error deleting file or folder. Cannot delete cxTrish and John.JPG:Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." I then decided to just delete the whole folder, as it wasn't needed any more anyway and I get the same message. So how do I get rid of this photo and why is it doing that? I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!

Posted 9 years ago

LH

Hello rosakw. Try this. Download,and install FreeCommander (run it as administrator). Navigate to the files you can't delete. Rename them, and then delete them from within FC.
http://www.freecommander.com/

Posted 9 years ago

rosakw

Hello LH,

I did as you said and it still won't let me change the file name or delete it through FreeCommander either. It did let me change the folder name but got the same error message when trying to delete it. Thank you for trying! If you have any more ideas I'm open to them!!

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

Same advice as LH but try in Safe Mode.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

rosakw, hello. This error message is mildly troubling. The cyclic redundancy check (CRC) is used to verify data written to the hard drive. The CRC error message you get says that there might be a problem on the hard drive where that file is written. I want you to run a full length diagnostic on that hard drive to see if there is a problem. First, we need to know the manufacturer of the drive so that you can get the right diagnostic tool.

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information. That will launch the system information utility. Expand (click on the plus) the "Components" section, then expand "Storage", then select (click on) "Disks". Hopefully, you only have one drive here, otherwise we will have to figure out which one has My Documents. Find the line that says "Model" and post back with that information. We can then search on that model number to find the manufacturer. Then we can get you the proper diagnostic tool to run and check the drive.

Posted 9 years ago

rosakw

Hi ScottW,

Here's that information: Model Maxtor 2F040J0

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Maxtor has been acquired by Seagate, so the diagnostic tool that you need is Seagate SeaTools.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-...../seatools/

SeaTools is available for installation under Windows. There is also a "SeaTools for DOS" that allows you to create a bootable CD or diskette to boot from and run the tests. If you choose the Windows version, I would suggest that you not use your system while the tests are running. The long test can take hours, depending on the size of the drive so do this when you will be away from the computer.

Start with the DST Short Test which should give you a result in a few minutes. If it passes, run the DST Long Test which could take hours. If you get any errors, copy the information to a log file or screen capture or just write it down. You can contact Seagate/Maxtor directly about diagnostic errors or warranty information. Hopefully, the test will fix the CRC error, if there is one.

Posted 9 years ago

rosakw

Hello ScottW,
I downloaded SeaTools and believe it or not, when it tries to install I get this error message: "Installer Information. Error 1327. Invalid Drive: F:\" and after that one comes this one: "Fatal Error. Installation ended prematurely because of an error." I do have an external hard drive that when in use is labeled Drive F, however it is not connected to the computer at this time. I tried installing it twice and got the same result both times. Don't have a clue where to go from here!

Posted 9 years ago

rosakw

An update....I decided to connect the external drive and see if SeaTools would install then. It did. I then ran the short DST test and it failed. SeaTools suggests I run the DOS version now, so that's what I'm preparing to do. Wish me luck! It says it could take a long time so I'll let you know how it turns out. I do appreciate your help very much.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

rosakw, that's odd behavior for SeaTools. There may be some kind of conflict with other software or drivers that you have in Windows. The "DOS" version will get around all of that since it boots into it's own environment. However, your system will be completely unusable while the long test runs. From what I see in the README file, SeaTools for DOS doesn't provide the option for a DST version of the long and short test. But, if it is a Seagate or Maxtor drive, it should run the DST test automatically.

Good luck!

Posted 9 years ago

nerdnan

i downloaded UNLOCKER ,i found it great for deleting files that i can`t normally delete...

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

We probably need a test of this program on Win7 beta.

Posted 9 years ago

amaranthe

where did you find UNLOCKER?

Posted 9 years ago

LH

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.