The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Can't create Windows 7 Restore Points

(15 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Berniek
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4073 times

Berniek

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit on a system with a 640G Drive and 6G of memory. When I try to create a manual system restore point I get an "Access Denied x800700005" error on all discs and partitions other than on the C partition. I've tried various suggested "fixes" with the same result. I've disabled Norton, run a clean boot and tried to create a point while in safe mode. None of these approaches work. I’ve also tried to register some additional DLLs and Services, but the system won’t allow it. Please help. Thank you!

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

Berniek hi, first do you mean ''norton security'' is that asking you to do a restore point?,

anyway .... click start...control panel...system...in the left hand pane...system protection ... on the next screen click system protection tab, in there is it all listed ( 'on') below that what happens when you click create?does it go to the next box if so type the date, then create. post back :)

mark.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

hi Berniek, Seems like the error you are getting is a catch all error. Do you have permission for your other drives?

g-x

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Did you enable restore points (set them on) for those disks/partitions in system protection (Start > Right click on Computer > Properties > System Protection - on the top left). By default, only system protection for C is enabled.

Posted 8 years ago

Berniek

Mark,
I've already done all of this. The box thaty opens is rhe one with the access denied error code.

germ-x,
I'm the administrator and I have permission on all drives.

whs,
The only drive for which I can cerate a restore point is C. All of the others result in the access denied message.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Why would you want to create a Restore Point on something other than your system partition ? For the others you should use imaging software.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Berniek, that was not the question/problem I was persuing. Question is whether can enable the other partitions for system restore and if you do, what does it do then?

LH, I enable system restore on my Data partition. That gives me a backup that I can use with e.g. Shadow Explorer in case I lost a file.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

whs. I use Ghost for my Data partition.
Restore Points, are for when your system crashes, or has problems, and you have to do a repair, or recovery, to get it up and running again.

Posted 8 years ago

Berniek

whs,
Thank you for your response! The System Protection Tab in System Properties allows me to configure all partitions but when I try to create a restore point for anything other than the C partition I get the access denied error.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

What are your other partitions formatted in FAT32 or NTFS?
If you are using your other partitions for data / storage why not use an imaging software like LH doe?. I know that doesn't answer your question.
Have you checked the amount of space allowed for restore points? Have you tried increasing the size limit?

EDIT: Turn off SR, you can read help to find out how.
Turn off computer
Boot up
Turn on SR
May not work, but worth a try

Posted 8 years ago

whs

OK, Open an elevated (run as admin) Command Prompt and type or paste:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Then hit Enter. That should give you the status of the storage allocated for restore points. Look how much is specified as "Maximum" for the volumes that do not want to cooperate. If that is zero, do the following:

Go back to the system protection tab, highlight the volume you want to deal with and click on the "Configure" button. Then move the slider to as much storage as you wish. For non-OS volumes a couple of GBs should suffice for starters. And do no forget "Apply".

Posted 8 years ago

Berniek

germ-x,

Already tried, doesn't make a difference.

whs,

Already tried maxing all sliders, made no difference. Yes there was plenty of room on the C drive to handle the max'd values

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Hmm, I am out of good ideas. The only thing I can suggest is to image the drives as an alternative. My favorite imaging program is free Macrium ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I ). But Ghost, Paragon, Acronis or some of the others are good too.
I know this does not fix the initial problem. But in the meantime it may give you a very similar result.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Have you looked in Local Group policy Start>>type>> gpedit.msc
In the Group Policy console, you'll find the System Restore policies under Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\System Restore. Through System Restore policies,
you can override and disable management of this feature. The following policies are available:
Turn Off System Restore If you enable this policy, System Restore is turned off and can't
be managed using the System utility or the System Restore Wizard. If you disable this
policy, System Restore is enforced and cannot be turned off.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

germ-x, That is good advice, provided the OP has Windows Ultimate. In Home Premium it will not work.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.