The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

[Solved] Can't Copy Large Files to External HDD, NTFS, Vitsa

(11 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by PDMayton
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 11506 times

PDMayton

Okay, I am at my witts end here. I tried to cut and paste about 150 GB of files (mostly .avi files) from one external to another via my vista laptop. When I did this it copied about 1/4 of the files and then froze. I restarted my laptop Vista "fixed" my problem through some prompt (I didnt really pay this any attention) and I then attempted to move about 10 GB at a time and it wouldnt allow me giving freezing or sometimes giving me an error. then I tried 1 file at a time (about 700 mB) with the same result. The files opened and played correctly, just would not let me cut/copy and paste. After this I decided to format the drive that ts was mostly empty and try again, copying from local hdd in my laptop. After I tried this It has ALWAYS froze with 10 seconds remaining....always at 10 seconds. It appears to start copying at normal speeds and the starts slowing with 20 secs remaining and then comes to a grinding halt with 10 secs remaining. Every HDD is NTFS and I can no longer copy and paste with my XP desktop. When I try it it says that my sectors are bad, but when I run chkdsk in XP or Vista it finds 0 bad sectors. I have also tried repairing drive in chkdsk. Please someone I am desperate, this problem is causing me to lose valuable data and rendering my exteranals ans paper weights!

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Instead of Copy/Paste, try Copy to Folder... And whilst you are at it, install "Move to Folder..." too. Those are a lot handier than Copy/Paste. You may also first want to copy the files to the HDD and then to the other disk. It may be your USB that is fainting.

Posted 9 years ago

PDMayton

Thanks for the tip, but it didnt fix the problem. I have discovered that it always stops copying itself at about the same data size limit....that is to say, around 40-500 Mb it freezes regardless of file size. What is USB fainting....I assume the data is slowly lost through the usb port for some reason or another. What would be some possible fixes to this problem? I will be doing some research tonight.

Respecfully,

Daniel

Posted 9 years ago

murphytech

Can you just burn the files to a DVD and then insert the DVD and try to move them to the other drive? This is a very low tech pain in the butt way to do it but it generally will work.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Daniel, did you run "chkdsk /F x:" on all of the drive letters (x represents a drive letter)? Any partitions with open files, especially the system drive (usually C:) should ask you to reboot in order to check.

I'm thinking whs had a typo and was suggesting that your drives or USB ports might be *failing*. In addition to running chkdsk, you should try the manufacturer's diagnostics for each physical hard disk drive. If you need help finding the diags, tell us who makes them.

I would suggest using TeraCopy for transfers, but first you should get to the bottom of the bad sector error. That is NOT something to be ignored.

Posted 9 years ago

PDMayton

"Daniel, did you run "chkdsk /F x:" on all of the drive letters (x represents a drive letter)?" Yes, however this is not the drive with my OS....Kind of. My local hard drive has two partitions, C:/ (OS) and D :/. I ran chkdskond D:/(where my media DL folder is) and on E:/ and F:/ which are my external HDD's. Vista found no bad sectors on my externals but XP said that every sector that I was not already using was bad (which seems very fishy to me and the same sectors had to have been used earlier that day). Also I can still play the files that won't Copy/Cut/Paste/Copy To Folder/Move To Folder. These are brand new (less than two weeks) old Western Digital Elements Portable WDE1MSBK4000BN 400GB External Hard Drives. It's not to late to return these drives if they are to blame but I would like to retrieve my data if at all possible.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

I would still recommend that you run chkdsk /F on the C: drive. Also, run the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics on the two external drives.

Posted 9 years ago

PDMayton

WD Lifeguard had found so many bad sectors it couldn't even finish the test. How could these be possible?! Im in the process of RMAing these drives but would still like to find a way to keep the files I have if possible, any suggestions?

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

You said both drives are the same and are new. Did you buy them at the same time? Maybe they are both from the same bad batch of drives.

With so many sectors being bad, it might not be a problem with drive surface, but it could be with the heads or some other mechanics. Less likely, but still possible, it could be electronics. Still since they are both bad in the same way, that suggests a design flaw. Very bad news.

You could try connecting them to another system, just in case the problem is with the PC.

Posted 9 years ago

PDMayton

You can mark this topic as "Solved"...when I removed HD X HD Y started working perfectly fine. Simply a case of a bad HD....alot of bad sectors. RMA'd. Thanks Scott!

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

That's great news! I'm glad you were able to resolve it. We often have threads that just seem to go stale with no resolution, so it's great to hear back on an old thread that has been solved.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.