The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Cant access drop down menus

(18 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by spirithiker
  • Latest reply from meenco
  • Topic Viewed 2872 times

spirithiker

This is a Windows XP Pro problem but I cannot redirect it there because of my problem with not being able to access drop down menus. The explanation follows.

I cannot access anything on the Quick Launch toolbar.

When I left-click on any of the three visible icons nothing happens.

When I right-click on them I get the context menu so I can open the software.

When I left-click the arrow, to access he remainder of the quick launch items, the list quickly flashes and then disappears.

In the system tray, the same thing happens when I left-click the ‘links’ list.

I can access everything in the system tray except for the ‘links’.

On the Start Menu, any item showing here can be accessed with left-click, except anything on the ‘All Programs’ toolbar. I have to use the right click context menu to access anything here.

I restarted the computer but am experiencing the same problem.

In Firefox, I cannot access any command on the very top toolbar (File, Edit, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help). Also, I cannot close any tab unless I use the right-click context menu.

In Word, I can access all of the commands on the very top toolbar, only if I hold the left-click button so that the full menu shows (not the abbreviated menu). Also, when I click on a document, to access it after being in another program, instead of just bringing that window to the front, the document tabs to wherever I clicked. Never did this before.

In Word Spell Check, all button presses are ignored. Can only close that window with the ‘x’ in the upper right corner and cannot update my dictionary.

In Excel, the same as for Word.

Another odd thing, when I click on a window, to bring it on top, the entire word, where the cursor is positioned when I click, is highlighted. This never happened before. Previously the window came to the top without any action taking place in the window. This now happens in the Firefox browser and in Word. If I don't click directly on a word in Word then a new tab is created and I have to ctrl-Z to remove the new tab position. This creates an extra step to take before I can begin typing in Word.

Ran AVG for viruses. No threats found.

Today is the first time these odd things have ever plagued me.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this?

Since I cannot access any drop down menu, even on this 'Add New Topic' page, I cannot 'pick a section' therefore this request for help will be posted incorrectly in the Windows Vista section instead of in the Windows XP sections where it belongs. Sorry for this little problem.

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you install any new s/w just before this problem started?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

No, I haven't. I did download a newer version of CCleaner to 2.05.555 yesterday. But did not have any problems after doing so.

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

Update, I just started Winamp and when I click on an XM radio station, nothing happens. I can press the 'Play' button, which restarts what I was playing yesterday. But I cannot select any different station. Also, I can select anything from the left pane, and can play anything from my personal library, I just cannot select radio stations.

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

Can you go back to a restore point from before the problem started?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

I will try that now, good idea.

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

When I click on that option at the Help and Support Window, nothing happens.

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

Can you do a repair with your system cd/dvd?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

I'll try that. Thank-you

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

Well, it appears as neither of my CD drives will read the installation disk!

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you try to boot from the cd?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

The CD drive doesn't acknowledge that the disk is even in the drive.

I don't know if my original problem is something to do with Windows, the mouse software, or WindowBlinds.

Any ideas?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

I am beginning to see some other strange things that make me think the problem is related to my mouse.

The mouse seems to be behaving as if it double-clicks. If this is indeed what is happening, it would make since that my drop down menus would quickly disappear after clicking on them, because if you click a menu button the second time it closes back up, right?

It is a Logitech wireless mouse, about three years old, I checked the software but don't see where the left click can be set to single or double, so I don't know if I am on the right track or not.

Posted 12 years ago

Smashpmk712

That is true. do you have a wireless mouse? If so when is the last time you changed the batteries?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

I changed the batteries last week, and I just now changed them again without any change. Can the mouse be going bad?

I just realized I can access the toolbar at the top of the page via the Alt key. I had forgotten about being able to use the 'old' way.

Posted 12 years ago

Lighthouse

It might be a good idea to try another mouse. Can you maybe borrow one?

Posted 12 years ago

spirithiker

Yes I can. I will try that.

Posted 12 years ago

meenco

This all sounds familiar...I dont think it is the mouse though as in some cases the left click makes the radio button react but doesn't execute the enter command. In the dropdown scenario, the dropdown disapearing is not a function of the mouse only the enter command associated with it. So although I am not a code writer for the big M I am leaning towards this being some kind of key hijacker problem...does anyone concur? I first noticed this when I a symbol popped up in my activity bar. when I placed my dursor over the symbol a baloon identified it as mcafee security suite (which i have) which opened when i clicked on it and revealed that i was unprotected and displayed a rectangular "fix it" button. When I left clicked on fix it nothing happened...this is when i new i was in for a long night. when i went to the macafee site it would let me get so far but when i tried to launch "virtual technician" (an on-site utility program of some sort...never could access to find out)I was pretty sure that somthing had taken hostage of my computer with the main controller...which is like the gas pedal in your car. I am able to get around by placing my cursor over the button and hitting enter on the keyboard however...sometimes. That did'nt work for the critical stuff like logging on and off and accessing the start menu.

does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

meenco

Posted 12 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.