The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Can't access Bios

(16 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by GWnAtl
  • Latest reply from fooBar
  • Topic Viewed 5815 times

GWnAtl

I recently bought a used Dell Optiplex GX270 and I am having trouble accessing the BIOS. It says F2=Set Up F12=Boot Menu when booting but I have pressed F2 repeatedly and cannot get into the BIOS. Could it be another key or is there another way into it.

Posted 7 years ago

ronniesonora

Hitting F2 rapidly 3 or 4 times should do it. You also might try Ctrl +Alt +Enter.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Try DEL

Posted 7 years ago

GWnAtl

I've tried F2, CTRL+ALT+ENTER, ESC all of them, pressing multiple time, to no avail

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Are you hitting F2 as soon as you start the computer ?

Posted 7 years ago

fooBar

Are you using a USB keyboard. Sometimes USB isnt detected until after the OS loads. This can usually be changed in the BIOS. So a PS/2 keyboard might fix you up.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

http://support.dell.com/suppor.....tm#1128171

Appears you have to be FAST.

May have to remove the battery to get a CMOS HALT on boot up.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

ronniesonora

Go to EaseUS or Michael Stevens Tech (see Resources) for a list of BIOS keyboard commands. Find your computer and note the keyboard command to access BIOS on your machine.

Read more: How to Turn on the BIOS on a Computer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_623185.....z1BpApzC57

Posted 7 years ago

fooBar

raphoenix makes an interesting point.

Test your keyboard input during POST by holding down a bunch of keys for a while. it should beep at you until you let up. Then it will give you a screen with options like go into setup. If it doesnt then it is not reading your keyboard during POST.

Posted 7 years ago

xalky

I keep an old clunky ps2 keyboard on hand just for this purpose. The ps2 connector is a round connector on the back of the computer usually coded a violet color. Borrow one from somebody just so you can get into the bios. You should be able to enable USB keyboard from the bios. I have an old machine that wont allow me to do this so every once in a while i have to pull out the PS2 keyboardto make bios changes.

Posted 7 years ago

GWnAtl

"I keep an old clunky ps2 keyboard on hand just for this purpose. The ps2 connector is a round connector on the back of the computer usually coded a violet color. Borrow one from somebody just so you can get into the bios. You should be able to enable USB keyboard from the bios. I have an old machine that wont allow me to do this so every once in a while i have to pull out the PS2 keyboardto make bios changes."

I don't have a PS/2 keyboard but I have a USB to PS2 adapter. I tried plugging the keyboard into the PS/2 port on the board using the adapter. Does it have to be an actual PS/2 keyboard or should the adapter work (it doesn't)?

Posted 7 years ago

GWnAtl

raphoenix: What will happen when I remove the battery insofar as getting into the BIOS

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

GWnAtl,

See my previous documentation link.

When you take out the battery and clear the CMOS with the jumper, on the next boot the machine will HALT on post because correct settings need to be put back into CMOS Bios Setup.

HOWEVER, you need a PS2 connection to the keyboard to type in the correct settings.

INSURE your USB keyboard with a PS2 adapter will work by trying it out BEFORE doing above.

During Bios boot, the keyboard control function is a Hard Interrupt 1 with a priority of 2 so the USB bus is not initialized until later in the boot strap process.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

GWnAtl

foobar:

That was it, I needed a PS/2 keyboard. I borrowed one and it let me right in. Did you say there is a way to change the BIOS so it will recognize the USB keyboard. I didn't see it in there when I was looking at the BIOS settings.

Thanks everyone

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Some systems will only let you in with PS2 keyboard. Even if you have the USB options checked in the BIOS.

Posted 7 years ago

fooBar

Glad you got it figured out. Yeah as for enabling USB depends on what options your BIOS provides. You just have to look for it. Most of the newer boards do support this feature as many newer boards do not even have ps/2 inputs.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.