The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Cannot install IDES4

(62 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Colnic77
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3863 times

Colnic77

I am trying to install IDES4 Music Data Management Software on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. My operating system is Vista Home Premium with SP1 (32 bit). The laptop came with Vista already loaded. I have downloaded and saved the latest version of IDES4 from Casio. It is supposed to be Vista compatible. When I try to install the program using my Administrator account I get one of two errors. Either error 1303 "insufficient privileges to access this directory C:\ProgramData\Documents\IDES4" or error 1317 "an error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\ProgramData\Documents\IDES4". I have UAC turned off. Casio do not believe the problem is with IDES4 but cannot offer any suggestions.

Any ideas how I can get this program installed?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Hi Colnic. OK, I just downloaded and installed it to my laptop (Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1) and no problems at all.
So not quite sure where to start with your problem. It certainly looks like a conflict between Vista and the program installer, but I don't know why.
Try downloading again,
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/cms/

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I have downloaded IDES4 again from the link you gave me and when I tried to install it I got the following error message -"Error 1317. An error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\ProgramData\Documents\IDES4." I don't know what is causing the error message or where to start looking. Any ideas?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Try running the ides40.exe file as Administrator.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I used the "Run as administrator" option each time I tried running it. I have tried running it as Administrator with UAC disabled and with it enabled. It doesn't make any difference. I just keep getting the error messages. Any other thoughts?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

It does seem to be a permissions problem.
Try just creating those folders manually first.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

It will not let me create a new folder in C:\ProgramData.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Open up a Command Prompt, and run

attrib C:\ProgramData

What does it say ?

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I ran attrib C:\ProgramData. The response was "H I C:\ProgramData".

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Well that is correct.
OK. Right click on the ProgramData folder, select Properties > Security. Make sure you have Full Control.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

In ProgramData > Properties > Security the Administrators group has everything checked under "Allow" except for "Special Permissions".

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Umm. Boot up in Safe Mode, and see if you can install it.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

It says the Windows Installer service is not accessible in Safe Mode and won't let me install it.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Sorry for the delay, have been ill in bed since saturday afternoon.
To carry on. Lets see who has ownership of that folder,
ProgramData > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner
What is listed under Current owner: ?

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Sorry that you have not been well. I hope you are on the mend now.

The current owner is Administrators (Mitchell-Laptop\Administrators)

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Yes, thanks :)
OK, next thing to check,
Open a Command Prompt, and run the following,
cd \ProgramData
dir /al

please copy, and paste the results

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Here are the results as requested.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mitchell>cd\ProgramData

C:\ProgramData>dir /al
Volume in drive C is S3A6597D006
Volume Serial Number is B07C-D6AB

Directory of C:\ProgramData

02/11/2006 11:02 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [E:\ProgramData]
02/11/2006 11:02 PM <JUNCTION> Desktop [E:\Users\Public\Desktop]
02/11/2006 11:02 PM <JUNCTION> Documents [E:\Users\Public\Documents]
02/11/2006 11:02 PM <JUNCTION> Favorites [E:\Users\Public\Favorites]
02/11/2006 11:02 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [E:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wind
ows\Start Menu]
02/11/2006 11:02 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [E:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windo
ws\Templates]
0 File(s) 0 bytes
6 Dir(s) 165,625,643,008 bytes free

C:\ProgramData>

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Oh um. What is your E: drive, what do you have on it ?

Posted 11 years ago

Scott

(LH, in bed sick? That's what laptops were made for !
Get well soon)

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

E drive is the DVD drive. When we first tried to install IDES4 we were using the Casio CD that came with the keyboard. We have also downloaded the file from the Casio site and tried to install it.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

It looks like that CD, severely messed up your system (none of those junctions should point to E:). Who knows what other damage has been done.
Do you have a Restore Point you could go back to ?

If it's any consolation, although I installed that prog ok, I had a bit of a job getting rid of it.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Yes. I can do a disk recovery. When I am done, should I then download IDES4 from Casio and install it? It sounds like the CD is too risky.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Sounds like a good idea :)

p.s., I would also contact Casio with the results of that dir /al

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Thank you LH. I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to help me with this. I hope you are feeling much better real soon. Cheers.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

No probs. Good luck. And let us know how it goes :)
(and see my p.s., above)

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Will do.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

LH

Back again.

I have run the disk recovery and tried again to install IDES4. I got the same error. I ran the dir /al test and the results showed that the junctions still pointed to the E drive. I also reported the results of the dir /al to Casio but I have not heard back from them. Any further thoughts?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

In Command Prompt, try running,
sfc /scannow

Then reboot the machine.
See if that picks anything up.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

LH

I tried to run the sfc /scannow. It won't let me. I have pasted the message below. I don't know what "running a console session" is.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mitchell>sfc /scannow

You must be an administrator running a console session in order to
use the sfc utility.

C:\Users\Mitchell>

Posted 11 years ago

LH

You running Command Prompt as Administrator ?

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

That is a very good question. I logged in under that account. It is set up as an administrator account. When I go into the security tab, I can see two accounts. One is an administrator account and the other is a user account. Everything tells me I am logged in as an administrator but in the command prompt it shows up as user. I don't know how to get to the administrator account in the command prompt.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

OK. Don't just click on Command Prompt to open it. Right click and select Run as Administrator. Good luck :)

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I ran the sfc /scannow and it said it did not find any system integrity problems. I rebooted and tried to install IDES4 but no luck.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Is, dir /al, still pointing at E: ?

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Yes it is.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

You're not going to like this :(
I think your only possibility now, is to do a system Repair.
If that doesn't work, you are looking at a re-install.
Back up all your private data first tho'.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

OK I will do a backup and get back to you. It won't be tonight though. It is now midnight here and I need to go to work tomorrow morning. I will post back to you when I have backed up and am ready to go. By the way, this is a Toshiba laptop that has the recovery disk facility. The software came loaded. I did not get a Vista CD with it. Should I also create a recovery disk?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Check this out.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

Edit. For the moment, we are just looking at repair. Not full system recovery. But yes you should burn recovery disks as well.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

LH

I followed the link and burned a CD. I have also burned recovery disks and backed up everything. We should be OK to proceed with the system repair. What do I have to do?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

OK. Put in the repair disk. Reboot. Then just follow the repair option.
and keep your fingers crossed :)

Posted 11 years ago

LH

I forgot to say, that you need to have the computer set to boot from the CD/DVD drive. But you probably figured that out.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I have got to a System Recovery Options box. Options are Startup Repair, System Restore, Windows Complete PC restore, Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, Command Prompt.

Am I using the right tool and if so which option should I choose?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Startup Repair

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I ran it. I have rebooted. I have run dir /al and the junctions still point to E:drive.

Edit: Casio got back to me. They don't believe that their CD caused the problem (surprise, surprise). They could not diagnose the problem from the dir /al info I sent them but they suspect a HDD problem.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Then it looks a recovery is necessary. This will take your system back to the day you received it.
I have never done this on a Toshiba, but after a bit of googling, it seems that you hold down the 0 (zero) key when you turn the machine on.
This should bring up the options to start the recovery.
If that doesn't work, then boot directly from the recovery disk you burnt from the machine and do it that way.

Does it not say in manual how to do it ?

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

I have tried it.

If you look back about 9 posts ago to the one that begins "LH Back again." that was made straight after I did a disk recovery. What I did not do was run the dir /al straight away to see how the factory settings looked. The other thing that I did after the disk recovery but before I tried loading IDES4 was to load my antivirus program from a CD. The program is Trend Micro's Internet Security Pro 2009. I am just wondering if it may have done something?

Yes, you are correct about holding down the zero key while you start the laptop.

I will do another disk recovery tomorrow and run the dir /al straight away to see what the settings look like.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Ah. Just above 9 posts up, I had suggested Restore Point. I had presumed that's what you had done.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

LH

I have run the disk recovery. The computer is now supposed to be reset to the settings when I purchased it. I ran the dir /al and found that the junctions for ProgramData are all set to E:drive. I assume this means that either I purchased the laptop with those settings already in place or something has happened since that has seriously interfered with the set up. What should I do?

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Hi Colnic. I spent several hours on this yesterday (and I see you are not getting much luck on those other sites :(
Nowhere can I find that IDES4 is Vista compatible. Casios site says upto XP.
So I'm pretty sure that's where the problem comes from.
I will have to do some more research first + Re-install IDES4, then look through my registry for any clues.

In the meantime. Have you got a program on CD that you know is Vista compatible, that you could install ? Just as a test.
Also. Download this, and install it from the hardrive. Again just for a test. But keep it on, we may need it.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

LH

This is the link to the site where I found the confirmation that IDES4 is supported by Vista.
http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/cms/vistasupport/. The keyboard is a WK3800 and it says "Confirmed". Perhaps I have misinterpreted it.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

I did see that. It seems to be different software, not IDES4.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

LH

I can install other programs from the E:drive. I was able to install an old version of Age of Empires from CD. My virus program from Trend Micro installs from CD.

I have emailed Casio again and put to them that IDES4 is not Vista compatible. I pointed out that it seems that IDES4 is the only program I cannot install. I asked them to confirm whether IDES4 is compatible with Vista. I will let you know what they say.

I will also go back today to the shop where I bought the laptop and get them to check another Toshiba with Vista to see where the junctions point on the factory settings. I will let you know what I find out.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Hello again LH

As per my post above, I went to the shop today and did a dir /al on a new Toshiba laptop of the same model as mine and the junctions of the ProgramData directory all point to the C:drive. I asked the techo guys about it and they cannot explain why mine points to the E:drive. So I think we can eliminate Toshiba peculiarities as being the reason for my problems. It looks to be more serious.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Is the machine still under warranty ?

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Yes it is. It is only a few weeks old.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

I would contact Toshiba, and politely demand that they send you either a new hard drive ready set up, or an installation disk.
See how that goes first. If they agree on the hard drive, then no problem. If it's an installation disk then come back to me before you use it.
There is another option, but try them first.
If the machine was sat in front of me, I might be tempted to manually repair it (just for the fun of it), but that might take days or even weeks to achieve.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

OK. Will do and I will get back to you when I have some news. It might be a few days.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

No problem Colnic, I don't think I'll be going anywhere :)
Good luck.

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Hi LH

Success! - eventually.

I followed your advice and contacted Toshiba. They wanted to charge me $65 for an installation disk. I politely declined. They then suggested that I return to the retailer and see if they would burn a recovery disk from another laptop of the same model and series. They did it for free.

I performed a disk recovery which basically re-imaged my laptop to be the same as the one in the shop. I then ran the dir /al test and found the junctions still pointed to the E:drive. Went back to the shop and we found that all Toshiba Satellite laptps with the A 300 system unit seem, for reasons known only to Toshiba, to all have the junctions pointing to the E:drive. All of the other models we looked at had the junctions pointing to the C:drive.

The techo at the shop then did some research and found out how to manually change the junctions to point to the C:drive. It took him about half an hour. He is making up a little file to do it automatically if I ever have to re-install from the recovery disk.

The Casio file IDES4 has now been installed.

Thank you for all of your help on this. Very much appreciated.

Best wishes.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Hoorah, Hoorah :) Strike up the band :)
It was a bit of a marathon, but you got there in the end. I am happy for you.
Next time, could you make it something easy please :):):)

Posted 11 years ago

Colnic77

Would love to but there is a problem - I don't know enough to know which ones are easy but I am sure that you will tell me.

Have a great day!

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Would love to have a great day but mucho housework calls :(

Posted 11 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.