The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Cannot access a folder due to I/O device error

(9 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by BR0MER0
  • Latest reply from BR0MER0
  • Topic Viewed 3633 times

BR0MER0

So I have a Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop. I have been having trouble accessing my downloads folder in location C:\Users\B.Romero\Downloads. When I click the folder, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute to load, then a window pops up saying "C:\Users\B.Romero\Downloads is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. I am running Windows 7. I have scanned the computer several times using that cmd sfc/scannow and it found nothing. I have tried opening the folder in safe mode and it still didn't work. I have check my drivers and they are up to date. Also, I am not sure if this is related to the issue, however my laptop is also running slower than usual. I cannot restore it because i have no restore points. I have run out of options in truing to access this folder. Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi BRomero ,

Welcome to HTG ,

A couple of things to try...

1. Open a cmd prompt in Elevated/Admin mode and type,

sfc /scannow

Allow it to run and see if it says whether or not files could be fixed.

If still no go try....

2. Full Anti-Virus scan AND Anti-Spyware scans.

please also state what AV and AS you are using.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

There may be a problem with your HDD. Run this command:

chkdsk c: /r

If the partition from where you want to read has another letter than 'c', replace 'c' by that letter. But do not forget the colon.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

BR0MER0

Thank you for your reply. I have scanned my computer using multiple AS's and AV's. I have used AVG, Microsoft Security essentials, Ad Aware, CCleaner and Super Anti-Spyware. All threats that were detected were deleted. Even after all those scans and threat removals I still have the same problem. I have already run a sfc/scannow and it detected nothing. I did not run the cmd as Admin however. I will try to run it again as Admin when I get home.

Posted 7 years ago

BR0MER0

Thank you WHS, I will try to run that command when I get to my computer. I will post the results as soon as I try it out later today.

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

I hope you don't have AVG and MSE installed at the same time.

Posted 7 years ago

BR0MER0

I uninstalled AVG and Ad Aware. I have the other programs currently installed. I had this issue before I even installed MSE.

Posted 7 years ago

BR0MER0

Actually, now that I think about it. I believe this problem began to occur after I uninstalled AVG or before. I did have MSE and AVG installed together at some point in time. Could this have caused my current problem?

Posted 7 years ago

BR0MER0

Its working now! I did the Hard disk check and now my computer isn't even lagging. I can now access the folder as well! Thank you all very much!

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.