The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

BSOD fixed after flashing motherboard

(9 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by systmfailure108
  • Latest reply from systmfailure108
  • Topic Viewed 1189 times

systmfailure108

I finished my new build a few days ago and yesterday I started getting bsod like crazy. I updated the chipset, lan, usb and audio drivers on my motherboard, including the graphics card, and all windows updates. I even ran memtest86 to see if my ram was the problem, but after 7 passes I received 0 errors. However, after flashing the bios the bsod stopped. Though, what I'm most curious to inquire about is, could my bios have been corrupt from the beginning? The version of bios was up to date, and there was no need to update the bios in the first place, but once I did so, with the same version, the bsod stopped. Is there any reason for this? Also, I dropped the cpu voltage on the intel i7-2600k sandy bridge to 1.325v from 1.400v, could this too have been the problem? I also removed the ram and replaced it with another set I had, is it also possible that memtest86 didn't spot any errors after 7 passes? Because now that I think about it, the bsod started after I had installed a new dimm set. Please help.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Could be when you updated the BIOS all the settings reverted back to default.
When you make several changes (three in your case ) in a short time period it is really hard to tell which one was the culprit.
When you installed the new dimm set maybe one of the sticks might not have been seatd properly causing the BSOD.
Suggestion, when you have problems and make changes if the change dosen't fix the problem put old part back in or change the setting back to the original setting.
This will help eliminate guessing which part or setting corrected the problem.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

systmfailure108

This was your Build Topic Thread.
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/building-my-very-first-computerneed-help-?replies=11

What components did you finally choose ???? :) :)

BTW: I always Re-Flash the BIOS doing a Build.

Most MBs need the BIOS Updated Immediately as a Newer Revision of the code has usually been released.

Builder MBs normally get about 10 BIOS Revisions over their life span.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

G41M

Most probably it was not a corrupted BIOS. Your new built would have been getting BSOD or would not even boot from the very start if the BIOS was corrupted. Did the BSODs showed error codes? What's the manufacturer/model of the motherboard?

Posted 7 years ago

systmfailure108

Final Build:

Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3
Intel i7-2600k Sandy Bridge
EVGA GeForece GTX 570
NZXT Phantom Phan-001WT
Corsair CMPSU-750HX 80 Silver Power Supply
Cooler Master Hyper 212 +
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 8500) Ram [I originally bought G.skill ripjaws 8gb but I think this might have been the BSOD problem]
Hitachi 3.5'' SATA 500GB 7200RPM
Lite-Scribe 24x DVD-RW Drive
TP-Link TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter (I have a concern about this one, when I shut my computer down and turned it back on, my computer wasn't reading the adapter anymore, I tried installing the drivers from the CD again but nothing, even when I downloaded the latest drivers from the TP-Link website, it said that all drivers were up to date but the device was still unknown and not functional...has anyone ever purchased that similar product and encountered this issue? I have no idea how to fix it, I'm using the Wireless adapter because the wireless router is like 40 feet away, I could run a long enough ethernet cable but I'm all about neatness, I'd have to run it through the wall.)

@germ-x: Both dimms were seated properly, at least I think they were, I mean, I really pushed them in there (not in a damaging manner) but I got them in there nice and snug. Could something as small as an outdated usb driver cause the BSOD?

@raphoenix: Do you re-flash bios even if it's the latest version?

Posted 7 years ago

systmfailure108

update: I plugged the wireless adapter at the back of the computer, into the motherboard, and voila, it worked. It might be my chassis' usb 2.0 that is giving me issues. Wish there were drivers for cases =\

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Where did you have the wireless adapter before you plugged it into your mobo?

I doubt your USB drivers would cause the BSOD.
The ram might have very well been the problem. The only way is to run your system for a while and if you don't get any BSOD screens then it has to be one of the three things you changed.

Posted 7 years ago

systmfailure108

I was running the wireless adapter from one of the usb's on the chassis. There's a usb 2.0 and 3.0 on the top of the chassis. It's strange, I plugged in my flash drive into the 2.0 port and I got a "unknown device" and then I plugged it into the 3.0 port and it read the flash drive, hence, the little crack about chassis drivers :p I'll try unplugging the usb that connects into the mobo and plugging it back in and seeing if that does the trick, but it's probably a mobo issue, not sure exactly how to correct it though, it was working fine yesterday.

Posted 7 years ago

systmfailure108

ahh, nothing like some good motherboard manual reading on the john

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.