The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Broken .EXE file association - and can't run REGEDIT to fix it

(18 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by jamesy8
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 48307 times

jamesy8

I got my .EXE file association in Windows 7 broken. I tried to follow the instructions here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I was able to open the command prompt via task manager but when I type REGEDIT to fix it, I can't!

It keeps prompting me with the error message box "Windows can't open this file".

How do I run REGEDIT without having to do a system restore?

Thanks!
Jim

Posted 8 years ago

Shkumbin

Hello jamesy8, and welcome to HTG community, have you checked your system for any virus/malware, I would recommend you Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware do a full system scan and see if it detects something, then do sfc /scannow (open command prompt as admin then type this: sfc /scannow ) this checks if windows system files are good.
Let us know what happened.

Best wishes,
Thanks.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Can you access regedit from a Run box ?

Or try this.
Copy the file, regedt32.exe (from the C:\Windows\System32 folder) to another partition. Rename it regedt32.com
See if that works.

Posted 8 years ago

jamesy8

Shkumbin, how can I run Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware or sfc if I can't run ANY .exe? (not even regedit)

LH, your idea seems good but I don't have another partition so when I just try to copy regedit.exe to regedit.com in the same folder, I receive the following error: "Access Denied".

What do I do now?

Thanks both for your help!
Jim

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

jamesy8, you could try looking here, scroll down to attachments and download the exefix cu.reg. Maybe this will help. Matt

Posted 8 years ago

LH

You can't do it in the same folder, it's too protected. Have you got an an external drive ?

Posted 8 years ago

jamesy8

Thank you all for your help. I was in a hurry and I didn't have an external drive with me (not even a USB stick, it's a laptop). Fortunately I managed to find a little known site that offers a fix for the broken .EXE file association problem. So I downloaded it and all is well now (cost me $3 but really this is nothing compared to the time and hassle that it saved me).

I was hesitant at first to download from this unknown company. So I tried one of their freebies, to see if what they claim is true. Well, not only their apps are signed, they are not even copy protected... Go figure.

Anyway thanks again - you helped me a lot.

Jim

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

LH

Jim. Please would you be so kind as to email that fix to me. I would like to examine it closer. If you click on Moderator, to the left of this post, you will find my address.

Also a link to the site where you got it from would be useful.

Posted 8 years ago

jamesy8

LH, I would love to provide with what you wanted, especially when you helped me with tips that led me to eventually find this fix.

Unfortunately, my name appears on that copy (it turns out that they don't copy-protect their software but they do place the name and email address of the purchaser on the downloaded copy) and I wouldn't want to be involved in any kind of copyright issues.

The link to the site where I got it is:

http://www.softwarecandy.com/s.....iation-exe

Upon registration I received an automated 50% discount coupon (good till Oct 30) but I didn't notice it until after I placed the order, so I may use it for another product. It looks like anyone who registers before Oct 30 gets this 50% discount so you can probably get this fix for $1.50. Not free, but perhaps that could help.

Jim

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Just had a look at the site. That fix is available free from,
http://www.winhelponline.com/a.....Vista.html

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

Wasn´t that the one I posted above!!?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Nope. He has 2 different .exe file fixes on that site.
I was dubious about posting it before, because it doesn't specify Windows 7.

Posted 8 years ago

cforbish

You saved my computer LH. The EXE link on www.winhelponline.com allowed me to again launch .exe files without a dialog box coming up.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

cforbish hi, and welcome. Nice to hear that. Hope you hang around HTG.

Posted 6 years ago

toodlican

Thank you cforbish. it also worked for me on windows 7

Posted 5 years ago

RuanZhi

Dear LH and other folks,
I signed up with this website to thank you for your help here. It took me three hours to make all exe files work well. Really a life saver!
RZ

Posted 5 years ago

nayaritism

I had the same problem and practically NOTHING worked for me. I couldn't get into cmd or regedit because everything was .exe and I couldn't open any of it. Nor could I download anything because of this.

This was the solution that worked for me. I thought I'd share it.

first you create a new notepad file in another PC (or u right click --- new --- notepad and the open it)
copy and paste this on the notepad file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
"exefile"=hex(0):

now click file---save us
change the File type to (All files (*.*))
change the encoding to (unicode)
put in the file name (exe.reg)
save it in the desktop

now go to the desktop you will find a file named (exe) with a registry icon
double click it ----yes--- yes

restart your PC

Posted 5 years ago

warlock

This is a 2 year old thread

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.