The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - BootMGR is missing, Can't boot from Windows 7 CD.

(21 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by jccooperxx
  • Latest reply from jccooperxx
  • Topic Viewed 13612 times

jccooperxx

Hi! So! I've been a little... careless so to say. Downloaded something which turned out to be something entirely different. I gave it it's administrative rights to install, and it didn't exactly do what I want. I opened the task manager, and ended it's process, which led to my computer shutting down entirely. Now, what I ended up doing is just simply starting it back up, to no surprise. It brought up the options to system restore, system restore from a saved image, I could bring up the command prompt, yadda yadda. I tried recovering, even though I assumed that would do jack squat. I eventually thought to simply wipe all clean. I ended up opening that command prompt, then wiped D: and C:. At this point, I got my handy dandy Windows 7 disk, in hopes to just start from scratch. I ended up getting this dramatic error. It told me how either I had removed a removable storage device, or that it could be having problems communicating with my hard drive, and that it could be failing. It's status was 0xc00000e9, and the further info said there was an I/O error. When I try to get back to the CMD prompt, It tells me I am missing my BootMGR... So... I can't get to the repair tool... cant get to the CMD prompt, -and-, can't boot of the windows 7 CD. Now what???

The indards of my computer, if you need to know, are as follows:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP4GX3M2A1600C9
Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1678A - OEM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80580Q8300
ASUS P5G43T-M Pro LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
XFX GX260XADJC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

If there is anything else that needs to know, you know who to ask :P

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

jccooperxx hi, What did you use to wipe your hdd?
What software is your stored image made with?
You can download this free utility > burn to a cd > change the boot order so your optical device is set as first boot device.
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html
You will want to delete your partitions and make one new active NTFS partition.
You should be able to install Win7

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

I used a format command on the prompt. I typed in D:, to start making changes to that. Then typed format D: I did the same for C: "What software is your stored image made with?" Eh? Not exactly eye to eye with all gargen...

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Did you make the "system restore from a saved image"? Was it the restore image the one supplied with your computer or was it made using windows backup & restore, Norton Ghost, Macrium?
Have you downlaoded the PW yet? This will show you what is actually on your hdd.
If your getting the missing bootmgr that means the boot partition is still there. That needs to be deleted when you either wipe ot repartition your hdd.

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

When i system restored, or at least tried to, I just went back to some previous time that the computer created itself. And I want to know how the, assumed, corrupted bootMGR is there if I formated? I formated D: and C:... What other is there? Where would it be?

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

jccooperxx,

Using a FULL Win7 Genuine Installation DVD, DO This to drive you want to install Windows 7 on.

Start DVD Installation.

At First Halt, Press (SHIFT + F10) for Command Prompt

Type in Each Command and press ENTER Key as follows:

DiskPart <ENTER>

list disk <ENTER>

select disk X <ENTER> [ X = the number of the Disk you want to install Win 7 on. ]

clean <ENTER>

create partition primary <ENTER>

format fs=ntfs quick <ENTER>

active <ENTER>

exit <ENTER>

exit <ENTER>

Press Ctl + Alt + Del for reboot.

Start DVD Installation Process again.

MS Reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877(v=ws.10).aspx

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

Couldn't open the Command Prompt... I ended up just pressing Shift + F10 repeatedly untill it got to that "bootMGR is missing" crap... Pushed it a few times then. So, that's a dead end... Unless it's different for my computer? I listed all my parts if that changes anything.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

jccooperxx,

You do NOT have a [ FULL ] Win7 Genuine Installation DVD as it would start running in memory ??

Try again and pay close attention to my [ EXACT ] Instructions in above post.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Have you tried the Partition Wizard boot cd?
You have to do a complete setup of your hard drive.
All you did was delete your O/S by formatting both "C" & "D" partition.
There is the boot loader partition that also needs corrected and until you do so all your going to get is the "Bootmgr missing error".
You should be able to pop your installation DVD in and get your command prompt and follow the directions raphoenix suggested above to setup your hdd.
If you cannot get the command prompt and correct your hdd then you have little choice but to try the partition wizard boot cd.

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

Tried to the Partition Wizard boot cd... Didn't even read the damn disk. I think that was a fault on my end. I'm going to put the ISO on one of my USB drives. I'll plug that in, and have it go off that, instead of the disk. As for the Win7 disk, yes I have an -actuall- Win7 Genuine installation disk... It started booting up, only to go to that 0xc00000e9 and I/O error, as explained further in my first post.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

You have to burn the iso into a bootable file. If you just download and copy the iso it won't boot anything.
Have you removed "ALL" USB devices when you tried reinstalling windows including your.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

when you burn pw to disk viao as g,x stated you will have to alter you boot from 'hdd' to 'dvd-cd' to first boot

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

This is the explanation for your E9 Bugcheck code: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560349(v=VS.85).aspx It could be an optical reader driver problem.

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

Germ-x didn't finish his post... Including my what lol? And yes, I set my boot priority correctly Marks. And how do I burn the iso into a bootable file? I dragged the ISO over to Express Burner, and it gave me this: "This file is an ISO image of a disc. Do you wish to directly burn this image to a disc, or just add it ot the current compilation" Of course... I selected Write ISO to Disc.... Guessing, to no surprise, it's not as easy as that?

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

use this http://download.cnet.com/ImgBu.....47481.html this may also help http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots basically

you just burn the iso to disk, .

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

jccooperxx, got a little ahead of myself. Was asking if yo uhave removed "ALL" Usb devices including your USB drive /drives when trying to run your win7 installation.

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

Yes, I removed all, excluding mouse and keyboard.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Did you have any other devices plugged in any USB port while you have been trying to get your system back to normal?
Have you got the PW bootable disk yet?

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

I got the PW bootable disk. It was an already good to go bootable file from the site. So I just burned the ISO over to a DVD disk. I put it in my computer, and to all downers... It didn't even read the mother f******... I could hear it jolting around in there, so to speak, trying to read the disk, but to no prevail >_> And both my mouse, and keyboard connect via USB, and not their own specified ports, I.E., the green and purple port deal'ios.

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

*Bump*? Everyone abandon me? :(

Posted 7 years ago

jccooperxx

This is a rather old post, but I am just notifying those that posted, and anyone else that finds this post, that I found the solution. My CD-ROM drive was faulty. I'm not sure what was faulty about it... Perhaps that it used a different port than my new one does, or perhaps it was internaly problamatic. Either way, the CD-ROM was the problem. I replaced it, and bam, installed windows seven, got my computer up and running.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.