The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

BootMgr is missing and can't boot from cd

(32 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by WilliumBobCole
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 12569 times

WilliumBobCole

Hello, my brothers laptop recently started the bootmgr is missing fiasco, and I said I'd sort it for him, I have downloaded the windows vista recovery disc you linked to in your walkthrough and have tried booting from it but after it loads the windows files and then shows the vista loading screen, it just loads into a black screen with a cursor and nothing more. I can move the cursor, but that is all, can't ctrl alt delete or anything, would it be worth downloading the 64bit version (I don't know what version he was using so I assumed 32bit). Also, I would just do a clean install of windows as he has no files of importance (and he also has limewire installed *scowl*) but he bought from toshiba so he doesn't have install disc of windows...
Thanks geeks
WBC

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

welcome WilliumBobCole, there should be a recovery partition. Reboot and tapping on the F8 key. ( Not sure about key on your system) It should take you to a screen that asks if you want to restore to factory default. Follow instructions. You can also click here and follow instructions. Hope this helps

g-x

Posted 8 years ago

Santo

Boot manager missing is one of the common issue that an user come across with Vista. There are so many tutorials and steps given to resolve this issue. What worked for user 1 does not work for the other.
But the only thing that has worked for me more than once is installing any other windows OS or even Ubuntu and then install Vista either using its installation disc or recovery discs (for OEM).

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

@Santo, amen to that. I have a list of at least 20 slightly different ways to recoup Vista. Some work on Monday.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Doesn't appear to bother MS.

They let the problem go on right into Win7 RTM all editions !

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

WilliumBobCole,

Discs for download included.
http://neosmart.net/wiki/displ.....om+the+DVD
FOLLOW Instructions EXACTLY.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

@raphoenix, the real bad part is if you call them they act like it is the first time this has happened.

Posted 8 years ago

Santo

@germ-x
I agree with you. It is not that only MS pretend that they are not aware of this issue, it is common with all OEM's. Ultimately it is the responsibility of MS to fix this issue.

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

okay the recovery disc decided to work all of a sudden for no apparent reason, new problem, it detects no hard drive... it asks for the drivers but being a laptop i obviously do not have them and i have no idea what model i would need to aquire drivers for... so uhm... whut do?

thanks
WBC

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

well i don't know what encouraged it to work that one time but apparently it doesnt want to do it again...

though if i can't find a C: drive of any description, is it really worth bothering?

*sigh*
WBC

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

WilliumBobCole,

Look and do any of this which may apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2004518

We all seem to be having a hard time with MS documentation which does not seem to work properly or consistently as written.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Download partition wizard here and make a bootable Cd from it, then boot your system and you should see if you have a valid hdd. "DON"T MAKE ANY CHANGES JUST VIEW"
Forgot to ask if you have more then one partition on this hdd. Depending on mfg you might also have a recovery partition on your hdd. This you will be able to tell when you boot up with partition wizard.

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

partion wizard shows details about the hard drive, is this good? it seems good!
details are:
Disk:1 149.05GB (ATA Hitachi HTS54321)
Then there's an unreadable bit, all i can see is half of a W and a 1 underneath..., then next to it is a wider space (a yellow one not a white one) that just says (NTFS) 73.21 GB, then, just over a half of the way accross the pink banner is a third section, this one has a little yellow bar and a bigger white bar, and written over the join of these is Data(NTFS) 73.21GB

oh and now, looking at the list underneath, i realize there was probably no point to all that... partition one is WinRE at 1.46GB, partition 2 has no field but has 73.21GB (all of which is apparently used?), and as before, partition 3 is Data, 73.21GB and only 4.42GB is used... all are listed as Primary, and only the blank one is listed as Active...

hope this is of use to you and consequently me
thanks again

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

LH

A screenshot might be nice at this point.

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

from you screenshot it looks like your WinRe partition was your recovery partition but not much on it @237mb. Your 73.21gb active drive looks like your O/S partition but appears to have a problem as you have "0" unused space. Not normal. Try one thing rt click on each drive> properties and it will display the drive letter associated with that partition. It isn't going to do anything except let you know what partition is really your "C" drive. You might be looking at a clean install. You can download this free utility as it will allow you to boot your system.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

WBC,

Only my < Personal > Observation and Solution From Picture Above:

OEMs should NOT be allowed to sell Restore Partition Windows Editions.

There is NO reason for OEM Customers to have to put up with this kind of "stuff ". (Mis-Spelled)
---
"Nuke" Complete HD and Clean Install a Copy of Some Win7 or Vista DVD Edition.
http://www.dban.org/

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

at0mic

here are my toshiba satellite instructions, i've repaired several with them. toshiba notebooks should be taken off the market

1. Turn off your computer
2. Disconnect every wire from it (including power)
3. Disconnect the battery from the bottom of the computer. There will be two tabs labeled 1 and 2.
4. Re-plug in the power wire. (the battery should not be in the computer)
5. Turn on the power. The screen will work. Choose start windows normally. (if you get that screen)
6. Go to Control Panel -> (Mobile PC) -> Power Options -> Under Balanced choose change plan settings
7. Choose Change advanced power settings
8. Find Processor power management and change the minimum processor state from 5% to 100% for each On battery and Plugged in.
9. Click Apply then OK
10. Shut down you computer.
11. Disconnect the power cord.
12. Re-install the battery on the bottom of the laptop, plug in the power cord, and restart the computer.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

@ at0mic, not to be a comedian but you forgot one step.
13. Tie with rope attached to brick and throw in lake.

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

So I decided to wipe the hard drive (I can't use that nuke program, it isn't recognized on bootup, so I'm using partition wizard)
but when trying to format the partition, it doesn't allow me to assign a letter to the drive, which I believe means I will still have the problem of windows not recognizing the hard drive and asking for the drivers... Btw I (am trying to) be installing windows 7 from my disc so that the laptop has SOMETHING to do other than be crap. If Microsoft wanted everyone to have thier own exclusive copy of windows, they'd sort out the problems, and FORCE any company selling product with windows attatched to include the mother fockin disc!!

But yeah ranting aside, what do I do when windows asks for device drivers? I've looked at the hitachi website and apparently windows comes pre installed as compatible, so it should HAVE the drivers right??

*sigh*...

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Did you format to ntfs file system? Now you only have one partition correct? Have you tried installing Vista since wiping & formatting your hdd? Windows hopefully will install generic device drivers to get you going. Windows will assign drive letter.

g-x

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

erm not exactly, no, I deleted all the partitions and then formatted the unused space as one, but when I load up partition wizard again, it apparently only cleared one partition, (the one that had no used space) and it didnt format at all...

I now have the WinRE partition, the unlabelled NTFS partition of 73.21GB no unused space, and an unformatted section which would have been that partition labelled DATA...

But I can still get this far so it must still be formatable... what process should i follow to do this confidently?
With disk 1 selected I have the option to delete all partitions, partition recovery, and to wipe disk, then with the two formatted partitions, i can select all of the partition operations except create partition, and for the unformatted space i can only select format, delete, and wipe partition.

I will wait for your reply as to what to do before i do anything, I dont want to kill the hard drive more than it already is...

thanks

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

I would try what raphoenix suggested and Nuke /wipe the entire hdd. You might be able to boot the Dban boot-n-nuke now. If not use the partition wizard. Once wiped delete all but your "C" partition, after deleting the others extend that partition to full hdd size, format and then reinstall.

g-x

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

no luck again, I got dban to boot up but when it comes to the nuking process, it says words to the effect of ive found ya hard drive but i dont think i want to do anything with it... does the hard drive have herpes or digital aids??

comedy aside, it says that the hard drive has not been wiped, so i go back to partition wizard and try and wipe it but it just freezes, the progress window that opens says it is on operation 4 of 4 (even though i only clicked one, wipe disk), and there are three progress bars, the top one sticks at 75% and the other two stay at 0%. I left it for nearly three hours just in case it was wiping in the background and then gave up... also, moving the progress window leaves grey ghosts of itself over the screen and the black coordinates box that comes up when you move the window leaves ghosts on the moving window... just thought id let ya know...

i have no idea if the laptop is under any kind of warranty, but as far as i can see, it will only be solved by either: new hard drive, or dropping of a cliff...

unless anyone else has any last ideas??

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

http://hddguru.com/content/en/.....0.02-MHDD/ ISO

Burn and check HD.
==============================================
HDD Low Level Format Tool ver.2.36 build 1181

http://hddguru.com/content/en/.....rmat-Tool/

Make Custom Boot CD and include to try and fix

Have brick available. (LOL) (LOL)

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

hmm thanks but i can only find an .exe for download, and when installed, it only cares about the laptop ive downloaded and installed on, not the problem laptop in question, is there some way to make this run as a bootable format tool?

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

thanks, can you guide me exactly how to make this custom boot CD, and what to do when i boot it... thanks

oh, and the brick is at the ready...

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

WilliumBobCole

i reiterate, can you please guide me, im unsure how to make a custom boot cd and get it to do what i want. also, i only have 2 blank discs left so i have little room for mistakes...

WBC

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

WBC,

There is much to building a Custom Boot CD or PE and is quite involved.

This prebuilt one is probably the best but does not have the tool but others.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

Their is another great one on the net but we are not allowed to mention it.
Starts with H.

Also there is BARTs Way and of course making a PE which I posted a link to.
FOR EVERYONE USING WINDOWS 7.
Make yourself a Boot PE that runs from a CD or USB Stick.
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/best-in-breed-reference-sites/page/6?replies=112
====
Your best bet would be pulling the HD out and installing it on a large machine with an adapter.

That way you could use an existing system to work on it.

EDIT: The DiskPart Clean ALL command should work if you have an installation disc.

EDIT: If you can make Boot Floppy CD Image with Debug Program on it, we can use Assy language to kill everything on the drive.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Another thought, try this free version, It has a wiping & partition eraser feature that just might work. http://www.killdisk.com/. Here is a free low level formatting utility click here

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@germ-x,

That's a GOOD Low Level formating tool I hadn't seen before !!!! :) :)

Now if we could just find an easy way for folks to build a boot CD, we would have it made.

My ways are much too complicated and laborious for most folks.

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Read this it looks fairly easy.

Here is another one that might be what you are looking for to make a bootable USB drive

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.