The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

bootmgr is missing

(48 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by bobstail
  • Latest reply from Ripper
  • Topic Viewed 2307 times

bobstail

Hey can anyone out there tell me how to get off the bootmgr is missing press cntl alt del to restart I cant get off the black screen at all Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

Xhi

Boot from a Windows Vista Install or repair disk and run the repair. See if that helps.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/ You didn't give a lot of info but, see this link.

Edit: xhi, you were faster on the draw:)

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi yes I tried to boot off the disc but it always goes back to the same black screen with the bootmgr message I cant get off that screen is there a way or a key to press to get off that same screen? Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Did you try the command prompt option?

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

I appriciate all help but I dont know what that is it is just stuck on the same screen you sent me the link to

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Is CD/DVD selected as first boot priority in BIOS ?

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

HI yes I think it is I cant cant get to any startup menus or options it is stopped on the bootmgr message it goes to the vaio screen and then right back

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

When you restart the computer keep tapping F2 or F3 (not sure which one on a Vaio), this should give you access.

This needs to be done before the BIOS hands over to the OS, try it as soon as you see the Vaio screen.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

thanks I have acsess now where do I go to?

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

anyone know how to reboot from the screen that says mai advanced security etc? Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

G41M

Use the Esc key or look for Exit menu. Have you change the boot order to boot from cd first? If yes, make sure you save changes on exit. While you are there (BIOS setup), take a look at the Main menu and see if the hard disk drive is being detected by the system.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi thanks so much! I dont see a cd on the bios I only see external harddrives and so on is it called something else? Then when I exited it came back to the same bootmgr screen I am getting there but I really dont have a clue what to do, I dont know how to get to the main menu or a start up menu any ideas? Thanks so much Linda

Posted 4 years ago

G41M

Linda, can you give us the Vaio model? Also, disconnect any external drives connected to the computer before powering ON.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

yes vaio model number would be useful, can then get some screen shots for you and show you where to navigate to in the BIOS.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

tHANKS IT IS A VAIO DESKTOP ALL IN ONE MODEL # pcg-2c1L much appriciation and I do not see the cd dvd drive in the bios could it be another name? Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi I just entered a screen that says press any key to boot from a cd or dvd and I put the disc in pressed the space bar and enter and so far nothing should I wait?

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

well now its gone I guess I have to figure out the bios and I am a complete idiot about this stuff,LINDA

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Try again. Why did you press two keys. :IE: spacebar and enter? It said to press any key to enter.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

I dont know but now I cant get back to that screen only to the bios how do I get back to the screen? Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

hi Linda , try this link to start, follow the instructions on the screen and u will get it to boot from cd first. it should be the same as your model and if somewhere on the bios screen it says save and exit do so if all is good follow the instructions from the previous posts.
http://www.ehow.com/how_686431.....l-cd_.html

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi Thanks but there is no options for a cd dvd drive in my bios there is Optical drive usb optical drive network usb hard drive Etc would you mind telling me the order the bios shuld be in? Thanks I appriciate all this but I am afraid I am not good with all this Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

when u r in your bios set up some where on the screen should be the version of the bios, example phoenix and a version number writ e it down and re post.

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

also re post your model , did a search on sony web site and no match. and do u have a cd drive on that model?

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi the model is a sony vaio desktop all in one from canada PCG-2C1L The Bios version is R2040W5 Thanks I so appriciate all the time you have given me Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

wendyjucy

You can try to fix it through create rescue bootable flash drive, the lens from here may be available for you: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edit: by Gmod, the link you sent is not a recognized fix here. If you tried it and it works. post back. Otherwise we don't allow first time posters to post untested links.

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

Linda if u need a repair disk go here and download the one for your system and burn it to a cd. http://bootdisks.windowsreinstall.com/
go here and download imgburn to burn the file to cd. http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
when imgburn opens click on write image file to disk, it will take u to another window and click on the little yellow folder and it will open a new window and find where the repair iso you downloaded for your system click once on it and then click on the open button near the bottom right hand corner, then it will take you back to the main window of imgburn, make sure u have cd in your cd drive and then click on write to disk at the bottom of the window and just wait till it is done.
if u need to find out what your system is click on thw windows start button and find the control panel link and click on it then click system and then system again all your info should be right there, write it down look for 32 bit or 64 bit windows version, go and download it from the link posted above. again do u have a cd drive on your Vaio { broken computer }

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

once u get up and running on your broken computer do the system check , got ahead a little there, but still need to know if u have a cd drive to start any more further comments.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi Thanks but I have a windows repair and restoration disc 32 bit I just need to know how to bypass bootmgr and boot to reload the dics and I think I am doing it all in the wrong order and I also cant find cd dvd drive in the bios, Thanks again I have to work to 9PM tonight so I appriciate all the info I can get so I may not post again untill tomarrow, Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

try this link to get to your cd settings. http://techtips.salon.com/boot.....o-613.html
use your tab button or left, right , up and down keys to move around in your bios.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Linda,

Optical drive IS your CD/DVD drive.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

above reported post is spam/self prom.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Fixed, I think they just might have googled an untested solution.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

hi I still have not been able to reboot, is it the USB optical drive or the internal optical drive that should be first in the bios Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

The internal.

Posted 4 years ago

Xhi

You need to put first in the boot list the device you are wanting to boot from.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

OK I put it first now is says PXE-MOF Exiting PXE rom and the the dreaded bootmgr is missing press cntl alt delete to restart the disc is in the drive any suggestions? Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

it is trying to boot from network location, go back into bios and make sure that the boot sequence has the cd drive and hard drive listed before PXE.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

hI YEAH it is the optical drive first no trace of any PXE in the bios Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

ok I disabled the network boot in the bios or could I boot from a network if my cable is plugged into it? Thanks I really do appriciate all the help and great advice but I cant seem to do anything with this and I am getting ready to give up Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

Linda have u tried to pressing the F8 key when your Vaio is booting up to get to advanced boot menu, if not try it and if it comes up select safe mode with the up and down keys and press enter, post back on your results.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

HI No it still wont boot up even it says that in the preboot execution enviornment there is no boot file name recieved, Thanks I am very frustrated Sincerely Linda

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

I actually think that it keeps exiting the pxe after it tries to boot from it

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

HI I actually got it back to the screen that says press any key to boot from a cd or dvd so I pressed the enter key and I put in the disk and just left it shouold I leave it alone for a while or any ideas? Thanks Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ruja

I think I will start this again from the beginning, just to make sure, since I only see lots of short posts.

Let's start with the BIOS boot menu. According to the user manual you can download here, to access the BIOS:

- Turn on the computer.
- Press the F2 key when the VAIO logo appears.
The BIOS setup screen appears. If not, restart the computer and press the F2 key several times when the VAIO logo appears.
- Press the LEFT ARROW and RIGHT ARROW keys to select "Boot" to display the "Boot" tab.

I suspect you will see something like this (surprisingly, this is not in the manual):

(Image credit: here)

Make sure your options show like in the image above. To change an option, select it with the DOWN ARROW and UP ARROW keys. Press the SPACE BAR key to switch an option from DISABLED to ENABLED and vice-versa. I think you have to press ENTER to change the selections of the boot priorities. You could even move the internal hard disk drive to the second priority.

- Press the LEFT ARROW and RIGHT ARROW keys to select Exit, select Exit Setup, and then press the ENTER key.
- At the confirmation prompt, press the ENTER key.

Your PC should now be configured to boot from the optical drive. Let's go to the next step which is getting a DVD to boot from. I don't know which CD or DVD you are using now. But your best bet is to get an official Windows 7 install DVD ISO image from here. They are useful to repair both Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems. Get the ISO image for Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit English version (assuming you have a 32-bit system, which was typical while Vista was out).

Once you have downloaded the ISO image you need to burn it to a DVD. You can use both ImgBurn (instructions here) or the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (instructions here).

Once you have done this, insert the DVD you created in your VAIO first, and then restart your computer. It should display the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...". At this point press any key just once. The "Windows is loading files" message should appear with a white progress bar, then the "Starting Windows" and the Windows logo should appear.

Next you will see this screen, select your keyboard layout and click "Next":

Click on "Repair your computer":

Let the window check for installed operating systems, select your Windows Vista installation and click "Next":

If at this point you see an error message it is because your system is 64-bit and the disk you downloaded is a 32-bit one or vice-versa. Download the right disk and repeat this process. If no operating system appears, then you might have more problems.

Next, click on "Startup Repair":

Let the system check for problems and repair them. Restart and do not press a key when asked to boot again from the CD or DVD, to check if the system works now. If after restarting your PC it still won't boot, repeat this process two or three times more. If it still won't boot, try this manual repair: instead of "Startup Repair" select "Command Prompt".

Here you will find a tutorial to backup your files using this DVD you have now. Follow the tutorial to check the letters of your drives (C:\, D:\ etc.) from Notepad's "Open File" dialog. They may be different in an environment like this: for instance your recovery partition may be labeled "C:", and your Windows Vista may be labeled "D:", although this is rather unusual.

Then mark your Windows Vista partition as active. Use the following commands from the command prompt:

diskpart
(you are now inside DISKPART>)
list disk
select disk 0 (select the hard drive with Windows Vista)
list partition
select partition 1 (select the partition with your Windows Vista installation)
active
exit

You can now try to restart. If it is not fixed, try to manually repair your bootloader. Change directory to E:\boot, where E: is your Windows 7 install DVD (check the drive letter):

cd /d E:\
cd E:\boot

Run the following command, where C: is your Windows Vista OS partition (check the drive letter):

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then restart your computer.

I hope this comprehensive guide is useful to you. If you have troubles during any step, tell us.

(Images for the recovery environment from here)

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

the above post is a great tutorial for u, if all else fails i found this post of a vaio user that disabled all but the optical drive to get it to boot from cd to get to the repair disk. http://www.techsupportforum.co.....56131.html
might help or might not but worth a shot. let us know if the above post solves the problem.

Posted 4 years ago

bobstail

Hi sorry nothing is working I think the screen I need comes up for a second before the bios and I cant get it to stay there it just disappears I give u Thanks I really appriciate all the help Linda

Posted 4 years ago

Ripper

Linda here is a link that might put things into a better perspective on what might be the problem. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....issing.htm
also u should not see your bios at all when booting your vaio normaly, as soon as u hit the power button to turn it on keep tapping the F8 key, no F2 for bios entry, just F8 only.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.