The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Bolding - Maybe the mods know

(57 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 1846 times

whs

In my last post https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/external-hard-drive-wont-format-help?replies=9#post-259123 I would like to bold the commands and put the comments that are in parenthesis in italics. How is this done here without an editor.

I think it would be a lot clearer for the OP as I do that always in my tutorials like in this one from yesterday.

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst

Hi whs. You can use bbcode. Write "code" in <> brackets and see the commands will show up as they should. To end, write "/code" in <> brackets. Of course, without the quotes.
It will look like this

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n

(where n is the number that was given in List Disk for your disk in question)
Format /fs:NTFS Quick

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Thanks Hatty, but that is kind of faint. Did you see the example I quoted.

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst

Yes, I saw that. Perhaps this is not possible on HTG forums since the bbcode use is limited...
There was a "strong" bbcode which was used for bold text, seems that doesn't work either. Lets the mods arrive, we'll see...

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

hi whs ...
i think making the text bold is a feature thats lacking so just a thought ....
try seperating the commands from the rest of your text using either a different color than the default OR seperate the commands by sticking them in a quote box (or both), for example ...

===================================================

For Example

the bb code would be applied as follows ...

For example

===================================================

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Thanks Vistual, That may work. But you have to jump thru a lot of hops - and I am a lazy guy, LOL. If at least the forum would not change the editing settings. Then I could prepare the post in e.g. Word and paste it into here.

This tutorial I referred to earlier I had made in Word and just pasted it into the window of the tutorial section.

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst

Yeah and you can also use notepad++, but that's just the same thing.

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

No problem ...
LOL!!
and i know where you're coming from!
it IS a bit time consuming, but the end results might justify the means. it takes a bit of patience though.

the trick is learning through trial and error what commands are accepted here.

there use to be a little key at the bottom of the text field that stated which bbcode was accepted but its no longer displayed.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Ywah, it is a bit like driving a Yugo when we are used to driving Cadillacs and Mercedes. LOL

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

One could always get one of the MANY programs that do 'macros' and use that to enter the surrounding code and the move the cursor to the proper point and make a normal text entry.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

If you want to quote, it's "blah blah blah".

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

why was my post edited
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Irv, can you elaborate. I did not understand what you said.

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

would love to know more about what he was referring to as well.
unfortunately - now that this was moved he might not even see that you posted the question regarding his suggestion.

from what i saw after a quick search (for programs that do 'macros')- i think he might have been hinting towards autohotkey maybe ???
http://www.google.com/search?q.....=firefox-a

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Let's see what Irv had in mind. I don't understand either why threads that adress a real problem are being moved to off topic. I would prefer a solution.

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

what doesnt make the least bit of damn sense is that neither Hatty's post nor mine gave you the solution, but rather alternative techniques to use ( because of the limitations of the forum ) but yet my post was edited so that it only shows Hatty's suggestion which i simply made reference to so as to only make it more clear what he was talking about.
it was an unjustifiably stupid action that left me like WTF ? was that all about?

EDIT:
i wont go on about it any more since i hope that future posts in this thread will have more to do with addressing your original query.
hopefully Irv chimes back in to elaborate on what he was suggesting and how to implement it.

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst

Vissy's post had a red text, quoted (bbcode quoted). I remember.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Tis fixed

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

no its not, but whatever, i dont care anymore.
it just that it shouldn't have been tampered with in the first place.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Code is allowed in OT, but not on the main forums.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

LH< after all this discussion I still don't know how to do bolding and italics. Any suggestion?

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

he does not care weather or not you know how to do bolding and italics.
his suggestion will be to never attempt it ...

REGARDLESS of the fact that your only intention is to make a presentable tutorial or add emphasis to certain words or instructions.
Thats the respect and consideration you get for trying to put your best foot forward.
Thats the respect and consideration you get regardless of the wealth of knowledge and experience that you're willing to share.
i dont mean from everyone, but from some like lighthouse.

By the way, for the record though - like i said before, bolding and italics are lacking. you can try the codes but they simply wont work thats why Hatty and myself offered up the alternatives we did.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

There will be no more anonymous edits by mods. Period.
(not that there were many to begin with)

Please keep all code limited to the O.T., this is a topic
that has been discussed many, many times, no one can
plead ignorance at this point.

So, please, everyone remember that we are here to help
others, not to draw attention to ourselves.

Posted 5 years ago

bubbatie1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

awesome!
thats gets me all the time!
LOLOLOL!

so hopefully you remember whats the guys name on first
; )

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

What's on second.

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

good job but remember whats the guys name whos on first ...

LOL!
i can do this all day!
: D

Posted 5 years ago

whs

@ vistual, I read your comment and sense a certain sense of frustration on your part too. It is really unfortunate - I have been around this forum quasi from day one and we had a lot of good times and a lot of fun. But times are changing. Nowadays one expects certain creature comforts to make the forum work as easy as possible. All other forums I visit have moved to modern engines with facilities that make it easier for the OPs and the helpers to communicate.

I don't know how much it would take to migrate the HTG forum to the modern world. I think it would be worthwhile and make our job much easier and so much more enjoyable. But there is always hope. Maybe one day the Geek bites the bullet and gets it done. Then we will celebrate and have a big party - LOL.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

whs. That will be the day adverts arrive on the forums. Where do you think the money comes from to employ the programmers ?

and,
http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php

Posted 5 years ago

whs

LH, adverts can be the same regardless of the engine. In fact, the modern engines allow for a lot more adverts - not that I like that. But I understand that the money has to come from somewhere.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

But we don't want adverts here. And I'd hate to see the forums look like an explosion from a circus factory, as I am sure, many would agree. That is why we stay. I have worked on anther site, and it was a pain negotiating all the crap.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

That is a choice of the forum owners. On good forums ads only appear for non-members who search information (and those are usually about 80% of the people that are on the forum). For members you never see an ad.

But there are also bad forums where the owners chose to bug the members with ads. Those I have all skipped - except one where the guys are awfully nice and need all the help they can get.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

AGREE with Lighthouse on this one.

I detest forums and sites that look like "explosion from a circus factory" !!

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Rick, I think we all agree on that point. But that is no reason not to advance. Check once on the forum where you have a user ID but never posted and you will see what I mean. But log in with your ID.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Yep, their POST BOX is pretty sophisticated but not sure all of that is needed.

Granted it would attract young folks and newbies but the reply answer is what's most important, not the way it's presented or formatted.

NO reason for stuff like this to put in postings.

Posted 5 years ago

minigeek

I think that HTML code works fine, though I don't know about bolding.

EDIT: Turns out Bolding doesn't work, but some other stuff does.

There are guides to HTML over at W3Schools

But if the Mods say so, then you should only use this on Off Topic, so be careful!!

MiniGeek

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

I don't see what all the fuss is about in reality a site such as the design of this at most only needs a few commands Underline, STRONG , and <h1>Heading</h1> and even that's pushing things. People will read each thing individually and clearly anyway so the fancy stuff is not all that applicable.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

For someone like you who only makes an occsional post each day that may be right. But if you post 50 times each day on 6 different forums, creature featurtes do matter. Fortumately all other Forums I visit are up-to-date - to say it in a nice way.

Posted 5 years ago

warlock

I also agree with Lighthouse and raphoenix. Why I first came here was information, which I got. Why I stayed is because the site is easy to navigate and not cluttered wih uneeded frills. In short very easy to read. So if young folks and newbies need information they will most likly find it here. If they decide to stay or not is up to them. Me, like it how it is and staying as long as HTG lets me.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

warlock. You agree with me, and I'll ban ya :) Can't be having that :)

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

http://www.spservices.co.uk/br.....na_12.html

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

Lighthouse is that classed as Spamming ? LOL

@ Vistual,

You've got something on your face mate. :)

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

I have no connection with the site, the business, I know no one that works for it, I have no shares in it, so no.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Couldn't Resist. (lol) :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

Cat's love Thread too!!! :D

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Ah, space. The final frontier.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

You have ears at the front ?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

:) and fur on the inside,

Who installed a cat flap on this forum ?

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

Cat Stevens did it, he gets everywhere.

Posted 5 years ago

warlock

@ LH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related I disagree you could be havin that. Am I saved?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Oh yes :) But the cat never "crept into" this thread like Ricks did :)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lDmETgYGs
26,000 Hours gets you this :) :)
BOLD

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

Posted 5 years ago

vistual

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.