The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Bluetooth discovery won't turn on.

(3 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by Daytripper
  • Latest reply from milnerw
  • Topic Viewed 9724 times

Daytripper

I am trying to add a Bluetooth keyboard to my computer. On the options tab in Bluetooth devices, when I check "Turn discovery on" box I get the following error "An error occurred while Windows was saving your settings. The following settings were not saved: Discoverability settings and Connection settings." I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Computer. Running Windows XP Pro with SP3. My computer is about 1 year old. I have Norton Internet Security 2008. The Keyboard that I am trying to get Bluetooth to find is a Logitech diNovo Mini. I am 56 years old and just started learning how to use a computer about a year ago, so being the novice that I am please be patient with my ignorance should anyone be able to help me. Thank you.

Posted 12 years ago

ScottW

Daytripper, howdy! The Bluetooth features in XP are very confusing. It's almost as if they were added as an afterthought. So if it confuses you, don't worry too much.

I was wondering what "Bluetooth Devices" you were using, so I poked around my own system. I see that this is a Control Panel item. It's one that I've never used before with Bluetooth, and I don't think you need it. When I checked that box, "turn discovery on" and clicked OK, I got the same error message that you did. I don't think that you need to use that setting and you'll still be able to do the pairing.

Try moving ahead with the pairing process and see what happens next.

Posted 12 years ago

milnerw

/nod with ScottW.
I remember when I first tried to use Bluetooth on XP. I had a similar issue trying to pair my phone. I could not allow my PC to be discoverable, so I had to allow my phone be discoverable and let my PC find it.

Posted 12 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.