The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

"Blocked by group policy"

(7 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by georgelaljohn
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 26917 times

georgelaljohn

Why is it for certain options like creating the restore point .Then the manage option in My computer . IT shows" Blocked by group policy". I would like to know the reason for this?

Posted 11 years ago

jd2066

The means a policy was set to prevent that action. They are for IT Administrators of Corporations/Schools/etc to control what users can do though some malware programs (viruses, spyware, etc.) set them to.

Posted 11 years ago

Sharif

I am using Vista Home on a Toshiba Satellite U305. When I try to use Windows Movie Maker, I get the message "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

Since I am the "System Administrator" (the only user of this computer), this advice isn't very helpful!! I need to use Movie Maker, so this is a serious problem.

I usually have Windows Defender and User Account Controls off. However, I've turned both on in an attempt to solve this problem, to no avail.

Posted 11 years ago

jd2066

I checked the Group Policy Settings Reference and found out which registry keys control this block.
Key 1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMovieMaker
Key 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMovieMaker
Value: MovieMaker

Just open the registry editer and goto each of those keys and delete the above value if it exists.
I can create a registry file to do that if you don't want to use the registry editer.

Posted 11 years ago

deshotel

I also have a Toshiba Portege M600 with the exact same PROBLEM and neither of the registry keys you mentioned exist. SO now what do I do?? I also cannot delete OPERA for the same reason, i.e., somehow I am no longer the admin of my own machine over 1.5 years old.

Posted 10 years ago

madmacs

@deshotel, you´d probably get an answer quicker if you started a new thread, thzis one´s pretty old!! ;)

Posted 10 years ago

LH

deshotel. Welcome to HTG, but, this thread is 10 months old. Please can you start your own in a "New Topic". Thankyou.
This one is now closed.

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.