When creating a new filter in Gmail that forwards an incoming message to another e-mail address, there is a disclaimer that reads "Old mail will not be forwarded." Does anyone know of a workaround that would allow you to "batch forward" a group of current messages from your Gmail account to another address, using a filter or other method? Thank you. jruday
Batch forwarding old Gmail messages(7 posts)
Only selected messages. For example, I have a filter set to apply the label "remember" to every e-mail I send to my myself at email@example.com, one of my Gmail "+" addresses.
I have modified that filter to also forward new messages addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org - to my other e-mail account, but there are already several hundred old messages that already have the label applied.
I would like to forward all of these old messages already labeled "email@example.com," to my other account. Any suggestions?
One way to do would be to enable IMAP on both accounts and set them up in an email client.
You can then copy messages from one account to the other in the email client.
If you want to try that reply with what OS you have and I can post instructions on how to set an email client up for that purpose.
Note: The imap folders Sent, Drafts, Junk and Trash in the email client will be created as labels on gmail with a name of "[IMAP]/Folder". When you are done with the email client you can just remove those labels in the gmail web interface.
When finished configuring Thunderbird you should have two accounts listed in the folders pane on the left of the Thunderbird main Window.
If you don't see any folders listed under those accounts click the "Get New Messages" button on the toolbar.
How to copy messages from one account folder to another:
1. Click the folder under the account you want to copy from.
2. Select the messages you want to copy. You can select multiple messages by clicking them while holding down the shift key. You can also select them all by pressing CTRL+A.
3. Right click on the selected messages, move over copy copy to, move over the account and folder you want to copy the messages to and click on it.
And if you need to only forward emails with certain labels, do the following:
1) Archive ALL your email in the Inbox (select All emails, and the gmail will suggest you select ALL emails in the inbox)
2) Go to the label you need to forward to another account and select ALL emails with that label
3) Move ALL these emails to Inbox
4) Proceed with IMAP as described above
If you need to forward several labels, you can do it one by one or just move all of them to Inbox before doing IMAP trick:)
This topic has been closed to new replies.