The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Admin privileges issue

(10 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by CocoGeek
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 3818 times

CocoGeek

My new Dell has Windows 7 Ultimate. I've had lots of issues getting it to let me install software.

My most recent problem is with The Witcher. It installed fine from the DVDs. When launched, there is a Witcher menu. Launch Game is the option I would like to execute.

I get the error that I need to run it as Administrator the first time I run it.

My account has admin privileges. I right clike on the Witcher icon and run as administrator. Same problem.

I launched a command prompt as administrator and opened the hidden Administrator account. I logged in with that account. I still get the same error.

Help?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

CocoGeek

I followed the instructions in the link.

If I right click on a folder in the All Programs list, take ownership is now an option.

The Witcher is in Games folder. I right clicked here and took ownership.

When I tried to run the program, my error message was unchanged.

Either this didn't fix me, or I am failing to understand what else to do with the download to make it apply to this program.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

can you check any other program just to verify you have rights?
Hopefully you are using your account and not the system adnim.

Posted 8 years ago

CocoGeek

I don't know exactly what you need me to do to test rights.

I was able to download that program and save it to the desktop, extract it, and run it.

I seem to be able to generally play around with the computer, change appearance, move gadgets about and such.

I tried this in system admin mode and in my own login account.

I checked the rights to the program and assigned myself Full Rights.

I did have about 8 hours worth of tech support to activate my Microsoft Office 2010 that came pre-installed on my machine. This is hauntingly familiar.

My account, and certainly the hidden administrator account, should be allowed to install a program I bought. I'm about to fracking snap.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

before you snap rt click on the Witcher.exe file and see if there is an option to run as admin.
If you are able to open / run / change / other files then you might have something wrong with your program.
Sounds like you have admin rights.

Posted 8 years ago

CocoGeek

My whole situation has been that it while it looks like I have admin rights, the system is acting like I don't, even while saying I do. It's a bit like my wife, actually.

I can right click on Witcher from the menu and run it as admin. That works.

Then, this neat, evil looking graphic appears in the middle of the screen. It has several options, one of which is Launch Game (or something to that effect).

None of these options are right clickable. Maybe if I found that subprogram I'm trying to run as a stand alone someplace I could rt clk and run as administrator. There is no way this should be necessary, though.

Looks like a pretty neat game, too. =/

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

try going into the folder and dbl click on each .exe file to see what happens.
Here is a link that might explain better how to take ownership of files / folders
http://www.vistarevisited.com/.....-in-vista/

Posted 8 years ago

CocoGeek

OK. I clicked the Launce Game button. Very briefly, a dialogue box flickered in the lower left portion of the screen. It was gone before I could read any of it, and it wouldn't come back.

I restarted the computer and repeated what I'd done. When the box appeared, i clicked it immediately.

It was regarding a driver conflict - TS Saver or some such thing I'd never seen. There was a download update for 64 bit Windows.

After downloading the updated driver, The Witcher worked fine. Error aside, it seems to have had nothing to do with administrator priveleges.

Below the "Launch Game" choice, there was a "Check for Updates" choice. I had tried to run this several times, but it wouldn't work either.

So, I guess I'm in business. I don't think the game developers did a very good job helping a player into the game. I don't think the OS designers did a good job of having the error message actually involve the error.

But, hey. Welcome to Earth.

Thanks much for the help and advice. I'll be happier later on for having the Ownership utility.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Glad to hear your problem is resolved

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.