The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Adding Yahoo Mail in SEND TO option in Windows Explorer

(14 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Wanky
  • Latest reply from Wanky
  • Topic Viewed 4342 times

Wanky

Hi ... I checked out the forum on the Windows Explorer SEND TO option discussion but could not find an answer on how to add Yahoo Mail as a shortcut to the SEND TO options in Windows Explorer.

I would like to Right click on a file and from the SEND TO options select Yahoo Mail such that Yahoo opens up a new email with the selected file already attached.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks!

Posted 9 years ago

LH

Copy the Yahoo link to,
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Posted 9 years ago

Wanky

I did that but the Yahoo link option does not showing up in the 'Send To' options when I right click on a file. Just to check if I can actually get some other applications shortcut to show up under 'Send To', I tried creating a shortcut for Notepad.exe and that shows up immediately, but the Yahoo link (Internet Shortcut) does not.

Not sure if I am creating it correctly. I created this Yahoo link under the suggested folder as a Shortcut which once created shows up as an Internet Shortcut.

Posted 9 years ago

LH

I am not sure. Will have to experiment. May take a while, so if any of our other members have an idea, please jump in.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Wanky, if Yahoo Mail is your default e-mail client in Windows, then you should be able to right-click a file and choose SendTo -> Mail Recipient.

Posted 9 years ago

Wanky

Hi ScottW,

I had tried that earlier but could not find Yahoo in the list of Default Programs. I also tried installing Yahoo Messenger to check if Yahoo shows up in the Default Programs (as per some Internet forums), but that didn't work either.

Any idea how I can get Yahoo in the Default Programs list? Please note that I am using Vista.

Thanks,

Posted 9 years ago

LH

Wanky. I am still on it too. But am trying to use some legacy software to help me. It takes ages to run :(

Posted 9 years ago

whs

How about making a shortcut of Yahoo mail on the desktop. Then you open the Send To Shell folder (type SHELL:SENDTO into the Start/search field and hit Enter). Now drag your shortcut into the Send To Shell folder.

Posted 9 years ago

Wanky

whs... Tried that... Didnt work.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

That is strange. I have a few extras in the Send To that I created like that. Have you ever tried whether it works with a regular folder?

Posted 9 years ago

Wanky

Tried that too... If I create an Internet Shortcut in a regular folder and then try to navigate to it using Start --> My Documents and then to the folder, I can see the Shortcut and upon clicking the shortcut it even opens up Yahoo Mail (as the shortcut was for Yahoo Mail).

... but the same does not work when I copy the same shortcut to the Send To folder - when I right click on a document or a file, and then choose the Send To option, it just does not show the Internet Shortcut. Just to reiterate, if I create a Notepad.EXE shortcut in the Send To folder, it works and does show up.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Wanky, that may be part of your problem. An Internet shortcut is not a valid destination for a SendTo operation. See this KB article for a list of valid items. Notepad is a "Windows-based program" so it's valid, but Internet shortcuts are not on the list.

The only way to send a file to an e-mail with SendTo is to select an e-mail program or "Mail Recipients", which uses the system default e-mail client.

Posted 9 years ago

robmaister

based on what I have read, perhaps link to a script of some sort (vbs, autoit, etc.) with a %1 parameter that runs the shortcut, or the code directly.

Installing the Yahoo toolbar does what you want, although it will lead to a blank IE page in Vista with the send-to menu item (for me)

Maybe the Toolbar 8 beta works with vista...

Posted 9 years ago

Wanky

Thanks ScottW and Robmaister! ... as I had indicated, Yahoo (after installing the Messenger and the Yahoo Toolbar) is not showing up in the Default Programs list either for me to change the Default 'Mail Recipient'.

Will try the new Yahoo Toolbar beta... Actually when using XP in the past, I could easily get the Send To Yahoo Mail option configured by installing the Yahoo toolbar or some add-ons. The same doesn't work with Vista...

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.