The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Add and remove program rundll32.exe. error

(71 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by gdstudy1
  • Latest reply from gdstudy1
  • Topic Viewed 14623 times

gdstudy1

I am not able to open my add and remove programs in my control panel. When I try to open it I get the error, cannot find the file rundll32.exe in
c:\\windows\systems32\rundll32.exe It took me a few days just to find systems32 and when I finally did I saw a file; rundll32.exe.virus. I have tried taking it out and replacing it with rundll.rar that i was able to download. I don't see a rundll32.exe in the systems32 folder. I haven't been able to find a rundll32.exe to place in the systems32 file to see if that would fix the error. I have fumbled around using the msconfig, CMD.I have downloaded the process explorer systinternals program. I am lost as to how to use it. I have a virus program that dosen't detect the rundll32.exe.virus. Do I need to remove it and replace with rundll.exe? Oh I also bought the Perfect Optomizer only to find it was useless. then I found a rating site that told me it wasn't the top four. Any suggestions as to how and procede. I am not knowlegeable in computers but have good common sense sometimes. I only get that one error and my computer runs fine, just don't want it to get worse. Thank you. ;)

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi gdstudy1, I would do a fresh install of OS but remember to save any important data to a disc or flashdrive or external hdd if you have one.

p.s what anti virus are you using?

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

have you made a image of xp, if so you could save yourself a bit of work,
if not run this, http://download.cnet.com/Malwa.....04572.html if all clear try a sfc /scannow

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

microsoft essentials. Please I am not computer savy as to how to do. I don't know how to install OS. I also uploaded the ccleaner with no result.Guilty Spark would you know where I can get A rundll32.exe file. I saw where someone else had the same problem and just replaced that file and the oproblem was fixed. what do you think about that idea? Thanks.:)

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

please what is Sfc. seen it used before but don't know what it means, thanks Mark.

Posted 7 years ago

Enthusiast

gdstudy1, If you downloaded a file called RunDLL32.RAR then you already have the file, hopefully the right one for your operating system. However, the .RAR extension means the file is compressed. Try right-click on the RunDLL32.RAR file and see if you get a menu item to Extract Files. If so, extract the archive to a folder, then move the resulting file (should be RunDLL32.DLL) to the "...\Windows\System32\" folder.

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

To start using SFC, go to Start > Run, and type cmd in the Open box, then click OK to open a command prompt. Then type sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc).

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Entusiast, Well I have already tried that . after extraction to another folder it was stil rund32.dll.rar. Thanks.:)
I have been all over this computer and downloaded so called free registry cleaners paid 58.00 dollars The Perfect Optomizer .inly to fine reviews accidentally later staing it was worthless. I think the Microsoft essentials is kepping the rundll32.exe.virus from effecting my computer any further than what it has. I have tried moving the rundll32.exe.virus I am totally at a lost. this forum is my only hope. I have used the tune up 360 the ccleaner the
WS registry cleaner.I wish I had spent the money for the Pc Fixer.This one also scans a thousand things jus to get you to buy the full version.:(

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Mem turbo says I have 10232mb total memory, 338 free memory,685 used memory,122mb file cache, 3251 mb or 82% free page file, available free ram 341m but I still can't use my add and remove program. fortunately those other registry cleaners had thier own unistals on them. hope this is helpful.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Mark, thanks. I did that and it is not a recognized internal, external command or operable program.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Or batch.

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

when you said you removed the rundll32.exe.virus do you mean you deleted it or is it still sitting in your system?
Download SAS portable to a flashdrive and run it from flashdrive click check for updates when finished perform full scan. www.superantispyware.com

Posted 7 years ago

LH

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. Reg cleaners/optimizers/Snake oil solutions, are a curse. They can mess up your computer beyond saving. Then a re-install of the OS would be required.
Take the advice of our more experienced members in regards to which software you should use.
99.9% of the time, we can suggest free solutions.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

If you have XP installation CD, you can do this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812340

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

OR

Change name of
rundll32.exe.virus
to
rundll32.com

and do a Manual scan using existing Microsoft essentials which are on the machine.

What happens ??

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

@Rick P =Thats an interesting one how often does it work?

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Not sure.

I want MSE to actually look at a supposed executable file and check it.

No self respecting malware would name a file with .virus extention so am betting the file was just renamed by bogus AV program and the duplicates deleted. :) :)

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

yea i wondered about that but wasnt sure if the OP was saying rundll32.exe virus or if it was actually rundll32.exe.virus as posted.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Raphoenix,

I did a search systems32\rundell32.exe I came up with three things 1 RUNDLL32.EXE-3015A1EO.pf in folder
C:\\windows\prefetch
2 rundll32.exe.virus
3 rundll32.exe.virus here I renamed to rundll32.exe.com then #3 dissappeared. did a search again and only got the 1and2 only 2 is now rundll32.exe

MSE scans and says everything is ok

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

gdstudy1,

I Understand there is (1) rundll32.exe in the system32 folder.

Reboot the machine and see if you can open the add and remove programs in the control panel.

If not, something else must be wrong.

Have you moved your important data files off the machine in case you need to do a Clean Restore or Install ??

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Delete all the files in your prefetch folder. Reboot computer. They will be remade as required.
See if that one comes back.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I am scanning a deep scan with MSE right now. Then I will reboot. I am not familiar with movingmy important data files off the machine.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

It only looks like one page, all the files in your prefetch folder. Ok, I will try it with that in before I delete it,just to see what happens.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Ok I will delete it now. whenI tried the add and remove it still is not working, but I haven't rebooted yet.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Most call it a Backup.

I like to call it copying important Pictures, Music, Documents, etc... to a safe place like another Hard Drive,
USB Stick or burning them onto a CD.

That way, you always have duplicates of important information in case you have to fresh re-load the
operating system back onto the Hard Drive.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Rebooted and no go still the same. by the way I want to thank all of you for your input, it's nice to know you guys are there. any other Ideas?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

You should always reboot after every operation. That is the minimum. Better is to shut down the computer for at least 10 seconds.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

My reboots take aleast that long if not a little longer.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I have to take a break.but I will come back on later to see any other suggestions. By the way any New people the Perfect Optomizer say they have a 60 day 100% guarantee. I have yet to get them to reimburse me. Just a heads up.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Start

In Run Box Type: appwiz.cpl

Click OK

What happens ???

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

it asks me what program I want to open it with

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Copy and paste what is in between the lines into the run box. Click OK.
====================================

Control c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl

====================================

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

rundll.exe error it can't find it.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I don't know if this is pertinent info , but this is a dell inspiron 9200

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Open a command prompt window.

type in PATH and tap enter key

is there a reference to c:\windows\system32 in the long path ??

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

and if I paste c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl it ask me what programs I want to open it with.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Do you know how to Factory Restore the Computer ??

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

c:\windows\systems32\CMD.exe

Path=C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live;C\windows\systems32;C\windows;c:\windows\system32\webm;c:\program files\;c:\ATI technologies\ATI control panel\;c:\program files\com files\microsoft shared\
windows live;c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files;c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files\filter

c:\documents and settings\allen>

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Don't know how to Factory Restore the computer, and I have had it for maybe five years.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Dells that old, did not come with recovery partitions, but with a full set of disks to re-install.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Yes, but it is an earlier version of XP.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Just an update: The Perfect Optomizer support is FINALLY rembursing me, after I threatened to plaster the experience all over Facebook, drastically damaging thier future sales.I got a noticeably different aattitude. >;)BUT like the gentleman earlier mentioned it might be wise, not to waste your money on those programs.;)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

An earlier version is ok to install. You then just do the updates from MS.

Gentleman eh? :)

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I wish. I tried to and it said there was a lnewer version of windows XP installed and wouldn't install over it.???

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

but I'll try it again. :)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

You may need to nuke your drive.
Have you got any data you need saving ?

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

nothing I could do without. I mean who ever uses the stuf thewy save? So how do I do that and will that just lose document but not programs like nero etc?.MSE, print artist expres?

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

And I don't have the code for the operating system Disk(just figured that out in the last hour) from dell that was already on my computer when I bought it and they probably wouldn't give it to me now if I asked,(don't want to go into detail) It would be nice to start all over with a fresh computer:) besides I might learn something about how it works with all of the tips given from members on this site. {GRIN}

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I do have two external hardrives with little on them with a few suggestions I could probably transfer "needed things"Like Picasa which someone put on for me.I wouldn't lose that would I?

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I am a good learner, christmas wish, maybe I could learn some important Geek 101,{BIG GRIN}

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

'Nuke' a drive means everything is lost but you need a CD. You would need to capture your key off the thing if you don't have
http://dltv.wordpress.com/2007.....text-file/

I haven't seen mention of trying Repair with CD
Perhaps borrow a cd from a friend? You would need a sp3 if that is what you are running
Install XP like Full Version: http://people.consolidated.net.....stall.html
look down at bottom where it has Setup or Repair

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

@Veegertx,

You know the OP is not computer knowledgeable enough to make a
Unattended Deployment Installation / Recovery CD.

If you want to go "head to head", Don't do it with New Members, us old timers will gladly oblige you !!!!

This is a "Help Forum", NOT a "Strut Your Stuff" ego forum.

We had this problem once before with what we use to call the old "Welcoming Committee".

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

Not talking about building CD, You do that with an actual XP CD. Those are simple instructions to add 2 files to a floppy.

I was trying to get him to try the Setup or Repair available on the disk at very bottom of that page but looks like he don't have the media
http://people.consolidated.net.....repair.JPG

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Now Now play nice you two LOL.

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

Someone above said he will need to 'Nuke' his system and OP asked how to do that

I know that page has stuff about building CD and you don't have to do that but it show's pic's how to delete and partition with an actual CD.
It also has stuff to create the 2 files so I don't have to sit there and answer the boxes. Not really needed

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

@gdstudy1
If you decide to do this open your programs and copy the serials to a text file you save somewhere.
Copy all your pictures and stuff to the other drives. Especially any installer programs like for Nero or print artist express if you have them
There is a lot of freeware that you can replace these things with. Picasa looks to be free and you can reinstall after you are setup

Biggest problem you may encounter is drivers needed by your system that may not be on the XP CD. Do you have a floppy and or a CD drive on your PC?

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Just a CD/DVD that pops out and you put it in. serials? Are they kept from when I used them orinally? that would be nice ,cause I don't have a record of any of the codes I used to install things.Please spell out things are abreviations as I don't have a knowlege of them. thank you.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

What is a KeY?

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

And from what I understand Xp has to be a special XP to install on a Dell Laptop. I think?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

It is called an OEM disk. It has extra bits added. A normal MS disk will work too tho.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Ok , got my money back from The Perfect Optomizer. What's the scoop on Rundll FIX This is what I sent which If you think I should try it I will.If not than maybe this might help in getting a picture of what I have as a system.
I have purchased three registry cleaners to fix add or remove program in my control panel option. None worked. In my system 32 file, there is no rundll32.exe but there is a rundll32.exe.virus. I have tried all sorts of assisted help to fix my add or remove option, which , when I select it gives me the error saying WINDOWS cannot find C:\WINDOWS\System32\Rundll32.exe please make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. So far I have been refunded my exspenses. Are you sure your Rundll Fix and Fix this problem? Frustrated and waiting for your reply. I am also using a Dell 9200 PC Running Windows XP home edition for Dell computers only.
Windows directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
system type X86 based PC.
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model stepping 6 GenuineIntel~1594 Mhz
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Boot Device \Device\|Harddisk\Volume2
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 375.94 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.83 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version="5.1.2600.5512[xpsp.080413-2111]"

Let me know:)

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. Reg cleaners/optimizers/Snake oil solutions, are a curse, I know you said this LH. I had to ASK, cause I am getting in over my head, I am trying not to panick. :|
NUKING is just to complicated to me and I live on a fixed income so taking it in to a tech is not an option. I see that a lot of people have had Rundll problems and have asked for advice and I have seen one person on this site who had this eact same problem and somehow fixed it. But wasn't sure how he did it.Most of the Rundll error I see people dealing with are in other areas of thier computers. Or thiers doesn't have a Rundell32.exe.virus like mine.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Is this reliable? Registry review.net

Published Nov 15, 2010 RegServe

Which Registry Cleaner is the Best ?
There are several registry cleaning softwares that are Nothing More Than A Scam and must be avoided. Our Registry Review experts have worked overtime to remove the minutia from the registry cleaner confusion. We have taken all the registry cleaner products and narrowed them down to the top five. Now you can decide for yourself which is the best registry cleaner product for you without the confusion and uncertainty that comes from too much information. We highly recommend the top three products, however, the fourth and fifth products do offer added help for some problems. To see how they compared Click Here ยป

The criteria used by our expert reviewers to rank the sites are as follows:

Reports: 1 · Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Ok. After looking through the forums I got my head set straight on this. under Sticky ccleaner which was suggested in a very early post which I have already tried. Hope is my only option. I know somebody on here will have a solution. I just need to be patient. This truly is a great site.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Sooooooo we're back to here,

Ok , got my money back from The Perfect Optomizer. What's the scoop on Rundll FIX This is what I sent which If you think I should try it I will.If not than maybe this might help in getting a picture of what I have as a system.
I have purchased three registry cleaners to fix add or remove program in my control panel option. None worked. In my system 32 file, there is no rundll32.exe but there is a rundll32.exe.virus. I have tried all sorts of assisted help to fix my add or remove option, which , when I select it gives me the error saying WINDOWS cannot find C:\WINDOWS\System32\Rundll32.exe please make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. So far I have been refunded my exspenses. Are you sure your Rundll Fix and Fix this problem? Frustrated and waiting for your reply. I am also using a Dell 9200 PC Running Windows XP home edition for Dell computers only.
Windows directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
system type X86 based PC.
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model stepping 6 GenuineIntel~1594 Mhz
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Boot Device \Device\|Harddisk\Volume2
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 375.94 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.83 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version="5.1.2600.5512[xpsp.080413-2111]"
Let me know:)

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

@gdstudy1 Are you running SP3, have you installed it?

Also look in your windows explorer and see if you have a I386 folder. If you have a I386 folder you can try this
Open a CMD prompt
Type expand C:\i386\rundll32.ex_ %Systemroot%\rundll32.exe and press Enter.
Shutdown and restart Windows XP
Let us know.

Backup file is also stored in C:\windows\system32\dllcache\RUNDLL32.EX_

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

I get the file name directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect

I did something similar below in an earlier post

Open a command prompt window.
type in PATH and tap enter key
is there a reference to c:\windows\system32 in the long path ??

c:\windows\systems32\CMD.exe
Path=C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live;C\windows\systems32;C\windows;c:\windows\system32\webm;c:\program files\;c:\ATI technologies\ATI control panel\;c:\program files\com files\microsoft shared\
windows live;c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files;c:\program files\pinnacle\shared files\filter
c:\documents and settings\allen>

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

well open a cmd prompt and type ver
What does it say? something like Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
I have been asking if you installed Service pack 3 and that will tell. The dll is different for different versions of XP and if you downloaded wrong one

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

gdstudy1,
I Understand there is (1) rundll32.exe in the system32 folder.
(1) " .exevirus (no) rundll32.exe does this make a difference?

Posted 7 years ago

Veegertx

I'm done. Take the money you got back from that junk software and take that thing to a PC shop, they will fix you up.

Posted 7 years ago

gdstudy1

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.