The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Active Desktop Recovery

(7 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by wectlb
  • Latest reply from fdweller
  • Topic Viewed 11935 times

wectlb

Every time I turn on my computer a window opens that is titled:"Active Desktop Recovery". I am not great with computers and have done all it said to do with no results.

Posted 9 years ago

ibbill

Hi have posted the fix I have read about

To fix it go Start Run, type and enter regedit
Go to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components
Change the value of DeskHtmlVersion to zero instead of decimal 27

Here is a picture of my registry for that key. you can see it here. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh.....directlink

Please let us know how you get along

Thanks Bill.

Posted 9 years ago

wectlb

This did the trick. Thank you so very much for your help! My sister told me of this site and I am so very happy she did. May you all have a wonderful New Year!!

Posted 9 years ago

Mike

@wectib, happy new year to you and your family. welcome to HTG forum.
mike

Posted 9 years ago

ibbill

Wectlb Thanks for letting us know how you made out. Happy New Year.

Enjoy your computer

Bill

Posted 9 years ago

electrix85

Change registry key to 0 instead 272 look like solve my problem
but the problem appear again on the next boot, so i have to change DeskHtmlVersion key again

again and again everytime my computer run.

So i created small program to set DeskHtmlVersion to Zero Decimal and you must make it run

every time my computer start and make DeskHtmlVersion keep to Zero Value.

I upload this file to rapidshare so download it guys…
Download This File

just follow this step :

1. Download and extrak the arcive, you will see DeskHtmlVersionToZero.exe and you have to make

it to run on every time computer start, so follow next step.

2. Copy DeskHtmlVersionToZero.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32\

3. Type regedit on StartMenu > RUN

4. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

5. Create String Key, give it name DeskHtmlVersionToZero

6. Fill The Value with C:\WINDOWS\system32\DeskHtmlVersionToZero.exe

7. Restart Computer.

8. To Check it, type msconfig on StartMenu > RUN, goto startup tab, you will see

DeskHtmlVersionToZero on your startup program.

9. And Check that Your DeskHtmlVersion Keep in Zero Value.

If u like it please give me comments

Posted 9 years ago

fdweller

Got a good one for y'all. Tried the above several times with complete success. However, Murphy has struck and now I have this interesting scenario. My screen is divided into two parts: the left side of the screen is part of my wallpaper bitmap (the right hand portion) and the right side is a simple white screen. All respond to mouse clicks, etc. The most interesting part is that there is a grab line between the image and the white portion allowing me to "re-size" the bitmap almost to full screen - I end up with a white bar about 1/10th the full screen size on the right side. This happens every time I boot and the re-sizing does not stick. Even more fun, this also has something to do with whether or not one decides to show desktop icons. In the past, opting to do so "fixed" the bitmap but I like a clean desktop (I use quick launch) so having this half and half screen is unacceptable. Haven't seen this anywhere else, some advice would be appreciated.

NEVER MIND! (SOLVED). It turns out that the "white bar" is actually the active desktop itself. At the top there is a drop down menu of which one of the selections is "Cover Desktop". Selected that and all was good again!

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.