How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Accidently installed Windows 7 on two drives

(45 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by selena
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 3986 times

selena

Ok, so I'm not much of a geek yet. :)
I think I have something on my system that got past Norton but it didn't show up in Norton's scan or the Superantispyware scan.
Anyways, I used to have XP and I had a CD or DVD disk that I used to do a full restore with during those rare occasions that I got a bug that I didn't think had been fully restore because a backdoor kept reappearing.

Anyways, I put in the Windows 7 reinstall disk and selected the option to do a custom install because the other option meant that I would have to be connected to the internet and I didn't to be connected to the internet if the disk restored my drive and I no longer had Norton on it. It doesn't look like the installation disk does do a full restore even if I put it on the proper drive....so I had selected the option that was colored and looked like default. I basically installed another copy of Windows 7 on a drive I didn't know I had, the recovery drive E. Now when I start my computer it gives me two options of windows 7, one goes to the old OS on drive C and the other goes to the new OS on drive E.

Can I go into the new windows 7 and just reformat the drive? Will this remove the option message I receive at startup? Is this dangerous because it was called the Recovery drive? Should I just take in my computer and get someone else to fix it?

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Firstly, please could you please post a screenshot of your Disk Management window.
And don't panic, we can sort this out. Just like to have a look first.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Thanks for your help. I'm too embarrassed to panic. :) I included a link to the screen shot but it's not showing up. Drive E isn't listed for some reason. Maybe recovery drives don't get listed.

Screen shot of my drive

Posted 6 years ago

LH

That is not Disk Management.
In a Run box, enter,
diskmgmt.msc
press OK

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Sorry. Here is a new link:
Disk Management Screenshot

Posted 6 years ago

LH

OK. So you do have a full, legal, W7 installation disk. If so, I would start from scratch. Can guide you through that, but you will lose the Recovery drive (which is now useless anyway).

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I have the installation disk that came with my Dell computer, I bought it, it's legal. Will reinstalling Windows 7 on the main drive create a new recovery drive? Should I have been given a recovery disk for Windows 7 and not just an installation disk?

Posted 6 years ago

marks100

you wont need a recovery partition if you have a installation disk, you can after the clean install of win 7 load all updates(install sp1 on its own) reboot after updates, and software as required. get it all
as you like then the clean your system.then go into 'control panel' > 'back up and restore' then in the left pane at the top select 'create a system image' say 2/3 dvd-r's at the end approx (45min). it will ask you if you would like a 'repair disk' for this use a cd-r , the partition which LH, is referring was your recover disk ( well your factory reset )

mark.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

OK. If you can tell me what you use your computer for, and what software you use, then I can give you a good plan for a new installation.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

It is actually pretty easy to repair. You have to make D inactive and C active - use the bootable CD of this program ( http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html ) - this program CD is anyhow good to have. Then you repair the bootmgr on C with your installation disk ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....g-fix.html ). You are done in 15 minutes and do not have to go thru a reinstalltion trauma. - Then you can e.g. reformat D.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

just thought of an even easier way.

1. Type MSCONFIG into the Start/search field and hit Enter
2. Go to the BOOT tab
3. there you will see 2 entries. One says "default OS". Tell me whether that is C or D - then we'll go from there.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

To whs: I'm worried that a virus may have gotten past Norton, so that's why I'm considering a total reinstallation. The screen froze after I clicked yes when it asked me to delete several high risk trojans that I got after I was looking at images and one of them went to a bad site. Now the program conhost.exe keeps trying to make unauthorized access to part of Norton's engine.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

When in doubt, a clean re-installation of the OS is what we advise.
I would suggest you DBAN the drive first (but save all your personal data to an external drive before you do this)
http://www.dban.org/

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I downloaded the free tool out of curiosity. I selected the option to delete the recovery partition (since marks100 says I don't need it if I have an installation disk) but got a warning that my system may become unbootable and I take it that that would mean I couldn't the installation disk.

Partition screen shot

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Well, that is a different story. If you suspect a virus, even if it was deleted by some scanner, a reinstall is in order. To be prepared for those cases, I would recommend frequent imaging in the furure.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I could try DBAN...I have saved all personal files as well as files from software I used, such as Adobe CS5 and Norton...but I'm not sure what happens to this since it got updated when I renewed subscription but I'd end up installing the older copy that I downloaded over a year ago.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

You did say that you have a W7 installation disk. If that is correct, nuke the drive, and re-install W7.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

whs: I hardly get viruses, but the thing is I use a Wacom tablet and it is sensitive—I've clicked on stuff I shouldn't have.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

If the computer becomes unbootable can I still re-install W7? Do I use the "wipe disk" button for button partitions?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The programs you have to reinstall anyhow. Saving their files makes little sense - only the installation .exes would work anyhow. Get the latest version from the net. For NIS2011 go to http://www.norton.com/nis11 - that is the direct download. Your key is good for that.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Yes. You boot from your W7 DVD. You need to set the CD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.
What is the Make, and model of your computer ?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You can always reinstall from the recovery partition. What is the make of your PC - I may have the recovery procedure (they are different depending on make).

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I have a Dell inspiron 545. 64bit operating system.
I don't think I am qualified enough to go into the bios and or use the nuke tool...I'm just a graphic designer with client side knowledge of web site design...I'm a geek but a graphics geek. :D

Posted 6 years ago

selena

whs: I don't know if I can reinstall from the recovery partition since that is where I copied the extra windows 7 to.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

With a Dell, insert the DVD, and as the computer starts up, keep tapping the F12 key. Select boot from CD, then watch closely for the "tap any key" bit.

whs. Please read the whole thread.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Can I put DBAN on CD-RW or DVD-RW? I have disks for those but I'd have to buy more for write-only.

It looks like it's saying that should be used on writable only...."DBAN 2.2.6 Beta for CD-R and DVD-R media."

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Should I forget about using the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition for this particular problem?

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Use a CD for DBAN (DVD would be a waste). Or even this,
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/i.....g-windows/

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

selena

I went through my stuff and I do have 3 CD-R (non-rewritables). So I can put the zip onto the CD-R...but then what? Will the computer still start up after I've used DBAN on it? I take out the DBAN CD-R and then put in the Dell installation disk?

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Yes. DBAN will take a long time to run. Make sure the computer stays plugged in, and do not touch it once DBAN has started.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Why do I need to 'watch closely for the "tap any key" bit'?

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I've burned DBAN to disk...wish me luck!

Posted 6 years ago

LH

The tap any key bit, only stays up for a few seconds. If you don't tap a key, it will try and boot from the hard drive. Then you have to shut down, and start over.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I tried restarting with the DBAN zip file on CD-R in the CD drive but it didn't start up, even when I pressed F12 and told it to boot from the CD drive.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

You have to unzip the DBAN file and install it to the CD.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

I thought it said that it had to stay zipped...
It says: (Burn this file to a blank disc and boot the computer with it. Do not unzip this file.)

Posted 6 years ago

LH

selena

I downloaded the free disk burning thing but I don't know how to download a copy of the ISO image. ISO image for what? Are they talking about the zip file that I got from DBAN?

Posted 6 years ago

LH

From the link I posted above (on the DBAN site) it says,
"DBAN 2.2.6 Beta for CD-R and DVD-R media.
(Burn this file to a blank disc and boot the computer with it. Do not unzip this file.)"

That downloads an .iso file. Not a .zip file.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

oh...well I tried the UBS drive method and followed all the instructions to the letter and all I got was that black screen with white letters that asks me which Windows 7 I want to use, as well as an option about advanced options like starting in safe mode...

I'm not sure the CD-R will work even if I did do it perfectly.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Then with the USB drive, you are not tapping the F12 key, and selecting boot from USB.

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Ok thanks, I'll try it again....
:( I'll never be a geek.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Stay around here long enough, and you will be :)

Posted 6 years ago

selena

Thanks for all your help, LH, I'm unbelievably grateful beyond words. I've reinstalled everything, even my personal files. I no longer have the extra drive, so I'll have extra space because of its absence.

It took 6 hours for the DBAN to nuke my whole thing. Then I put in the Windows 7 reinstall disk but didn't need to press F12 for that part, it started up automatically. I even learned some new things, like putting gadgets on my desktop like the calendar and weather bar.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

My pleasure entirely Selena :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.