Walter Glenn is a former Editorial Director at How-To Geek. He's written hundreds of articles for How-To Geek and edited thousands.
Walter has worked in the computer industry for over 30 years as a computer technician, network administrator, trainer, and freelance consultant.
For the last 20 or so years, he's also worked as a technical writer and editor. Before coming to How-To Geek, Walter worked as a writer and community editor at Lifehacker. Before that, he worked as a freelance writer and editor.
As an expert on topics like Windows, Word, Outlook, Exchange Server, Windows Server, and general networking, he's authored or co-authored over 30 computer-related books in more than a dozen languages for publishers like Microsoft Press, O'Reilly, and Pearson.
He's also written hundreds of white papers, articles, user manuals, and courseware over the years---mostly for Microsoft.
Walter holds a Bachelor's degree in English and computer science from the University of Alabama in Huntsville and at one point held just about every Microsoft certification offered, including MCSE, MCDST, MCIS, and MCT.
Awards and Select Publications
- Two-time winner of the Award of Distinguished Technical Communication from the Society for Technical Communication
- Linksys Networks: The Official Guide, McGraw-Hill Osborne Media
- Windows 98 in a Nutshell, O'Reilly Press
- Word 2000 in a Nutshell, O'Reilly Press
- Outlook Pocket Guide, O'Reilly Press
- Exchange Server Administrator's Companion (multiple editions), Microsoft Press
- Windows XP Tips and Techniques, McGraw-Hill Osborne Media
- How to Use Windows XP, Bestseller Edition, Que
- MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): Installing,
Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Press
- MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-297): Designing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure, Microsoft Press
- Managing and Troubleshooting Windows XP: A Small Business Guide, Microsoft
- Introduction to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, Microsoft
- Knowledgebase Articles (Windows XP, Windows Vista, networking, and general hardware), Microsoft Support and TechNet Knowledgebase, Microsoft
- Deploying the Office 2010 Client at Microsoft (Microsoft IT Showcase Technical White Paper), Microsoft
- Microsoft Security Guide for Small Business, Microsoft
- Microsoft Services Desktop Optimization using Windows and the Microsoft Office System, Microsoft
About How-To Geek
How-To Geek is an online technology magazine and one of the top 500 websites in the US. Since it was created more than a decade ago, the site’s 20,000+ in-depth articles have been read billions of times. More than 20 million people read our articles every month.
We're the people you turn to when you want someone to explain technology, whether that means detailed troubleshooting guides or in-depth explainers on the latest tech. Our team of expert writers and editors have decades of experience in journalism and technology. Beyond the web, they've written books for publishers like Microsoft Press and have been published in print magazines like PCWorld and Consumers Digest.
How-To Geek has been recommended as an expert resource by industry groups like the Wi-Fi Alliance and newspapers like The New York Times. Organizations like the BBC and Wirecutter have directed their readers to us for our helpful tutorials. Our writers have been interviewed as experts on TV and radio programs. We're an independent company that remains fully owned by our founders, too.