Forgetting your password is never any fun, but luckily there’s a really easy way to reset the password. All you need is a copy of the Windows installation disk and one simple command line trick.
Note: If you are using Windows 10 and a Microsoft account, you’ll need to reset your password a different way. The problem is that with Microsoft accounts, your password actually has to be reset on their servers instead of only locally.
Resetting Your Forgotten Windows Password
Boot off the Windows disk (if you don’t have one, you can make one) and select the “Repair your computer” option from the lower left-hand corner.
Follow through until you get to the option to open the Command Prompt, which you’ll want to select.
First you’ll want to type in the following command to backup the original sticky keys file:
copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\
Then you’ll copy the command prompt executable (cmd.exe) over top of the sticky keys executable:
copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
Now you can reboot the PC.
Resetting the Password
Once you get to the login screen, hit the Shift key 5 times, and you’ll see an administrator mode command prompt.
Now to reset the password—just type the following command, replacing the username and password with the combination you want:
net user geek MyNewPassword
That’s all there is to it. Now you can login.
Of course, you’ll probably want to put the original sethc.exe file back, which you can do by rebooting into the installation CD, opening the command prompt, and copying the c:\sethc.exe file back to c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe.
- › 20 of the Best Windows 7 Articles of 2011
- › How to Reset Your Windows Password Without an Install CD
- › The Best Password Tips to Keep Your Accounts Secure
- › Why a Windows Password Isn’t Enough to Protect Your Data
- › The Best How-To Geek Articles for November 2011
- › Shift+Enter Is a Secret Shortcut Everyone Should Know
- › Keychron Q8 Mechanical Keyboard Review: An Advanced Keyboard for All Uses
- › 10 Hidden Android 13 Features You Might Have Missed