Firefox 4.0 was supposed to be feature complete at this point while Mozilla worked towards the final version release, but that may have changed. Developer Bill Gianopoulos has been working on experimental builds that bring the tabs into the title bar along with other bug fixes.
From Bill’s website: These builds are essentially the same as the corresponding Official Trunk Nightly Builds with the exception of the inclusion of patches for some outstanding issues, including not yet landed fixes for some MathML issues, and User Interface changes planned for Firefox 4, as well as bugs that I am currently working on or find particularly annoying.
Here is a closer look at the combined menu button/title bar/tabs setup on a maximized window. The potential to really condense the UI is there if you want and/or need it…
Note: We chose to keep the Bookmarks Bar visible on our system.
The tabs return to their regular position when the window is not maximized.
If you are feeling adventurous and want to try the new UI feature out, then pop over to Bill’s website to grab your own copy. Keep in mind that unless you “embed” the experimental build within a portable framework it will have access to your regular Firefox profile.
Want to set up your own portable, contained version on Windows? Here is how to do it:
1. Download the zip file version of the experimental build from Bill’s website and unzip the contents.
2. Set the experimental build folder to the side for the moment.
3. Visit portableapps.com and download Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition (link provided below).
4. Extract the portable Firefox from portableapps.com to your desktop or another convenient location.
5. Expand the folder structure for the portable Firefox as shown in the picture below and delete the contents of the Firefox folder.
6. Transfer all contents of Bill’s experimental build into the portableapps.com Firefox folder.
7. Start having fun with your new portable experimental build!
Note: Downloads are available for Windows (32 bit) and Linux (32 & 64 bit) platforms at this time.
Minefield (Firefox) 4.0pre Testing Builds – Bill Gianopoulos [via Download Squad]
Download Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition [Portableapps.com]