You have a lot of options when it comes to streaming music services. Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal, Deezer, YouTube Music—which one is right for you? One thing to consider is the size of the song library.
While the quantity of songs may not tell the whole story, it’s a pretty good indication of how easily you’ll be able to find the songs you care about. The majority of mainstream artists are on the most popular streaming services, but when you start looking for smaller, indie artists, the size of the song library becomes more important.
RELATED: The Big 6 Music Streaming Services Compared---Which One Is Right for You?
Streaming Music Services by the Numbers
For the purposes of this article, I looked at the top seven most popular streaming music services—Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tidal, and YouTube Music. I was able to find official numbers from all the services except SoundCloud. The numbers are shown in the chart below:
- SoundCloud: 300 million.
- Apple Music: 100 million.
- Amazon Music, Tidal, and Deezer: 90 million.
- Spotify and YouTube Music: 80 million.
Quality vs. Quantity
As mentioned above, quality doesn’t necessarily tell the whole story. SoundCloud has a huge library, but anyone with a free account can upload music to SoundCloud (which is why it’s harder to find official numbers).
Spotify has the most subscribers of the bunch, but it’s actually lower on the list in library size. However, due to that popularity, you may be more likely to find an artist on Spotify over a service such as Deezer.
Thankfully, all of these services have free tiers or free trials, so you can check them out and see if their libraries mesh with your music taste. Of course, there are many other things to consider as well. While most of these services are priced similarly, the features can be quite different.
- › Pandora Still Exists, and It’s Refreshingly Simple
- › YouTube Music vs. Spotify: Which Is Better for Streaming?
- › What Is Apple Music, and Should You Use It?
- › How to Add Apps to Your Discord Server
- › Before DVDs, There Were VCDs: The Video Disc Everyone Forgot
- › HyperX Made a Super-Charged Controller for PC and Xbox
- › How to Find and Delete Your Google Assistant Voice History
- › Is Parallels Desktop Free on a Mac?