If you’ve ever wondered how to configure the number of documents shown on the Recent Items menu, you’ve found the right article. The default value is set to show 10 documents, but you can increase that with a registry tweak.
What we are changing here is the amount of documents shown in this menu (I changed mine down to 1 for illustration)
Manual Registry Tweak
Open up regedit.exe through the start menu search box, and then navigate down to the following key, creating it if it doesn’t exist.
Add a new DWORD 32-bit value named MaxRecentDocs into the right-hand pane, and then double-click to open it up.
To set the value, you’ll first need to change Base to Decimal, and then you can enter any value you want. For instance, if you want to set it to 50, enter that into the Value data field.
Now I’m not entirely sure what will happen if you set it to a huge number… I’d stick with something like 20.
Note that the same tweak works in Windows 7 as well, even though the screenshots are from Vista.
- › 175 Windows 7 Tweaks, Tips, and How-To Articles
- › The Best Articles for Tweaking and Customizing Windows 7
- › The Best Tips for Speeding Up Your Windows PC
- › The 20 Best Windows 7 Start Menu and Taskbar Tips and Tricks
- › Tweak the Start Menu in Windows 7 and Vista
- › Microsoft PowerPoint Has a New List Feature on the Web
- › The Framework Laptop 16 Has an Upgradeable GPU
- › Grab a 256GB Surface Laptop Go 2 for Just $550 Today