If you click an email link in Windows 11 and the wrong email client pops up, you can easily change the default email app. All it takes is a quick trip to Windows Settings. Here’s how to do it.
First, open the Settings app by pressing Windows+i on your keyboard. Or you can right-click the Start button in your taskbar and select “Settings.”
When Settings opens, click “Apps” in the sidebar, and then select “Default Apps.”
In Default Apps, click the search bar and type in the name of the email app you’d like to use as your default. When it appears, click its icon in the list below. (Or you can browse the list of apps and find it.)
On the email app’s “Default Apps” settings page, click the button below “MAILTO.” This configures how Windows will open “mailto:” links that are common in web pages.
In the “How do you want to open this” window that pops up, select the email app you want to use as default for “mailto:” links, then click “OK.”
If you want to configure the same email client to open EML files (which are email files saved as text files to your computer), you can also click the “.EML” link on the Default Apps page and choose the email app from the list. When you’re done, close Settings. Happy emailing!
- › How to Download Emails From Gmail
- › How to Zoom In or Out on a Mac
- › How to Block Subreddits on Reddit
- › How Does Your Snap Score Work (and How to Increase It)
- › Android Phones Are Now More Secure, Thanks to Rust
- › The Google Nest Mini Is Back Down to Just $18 Today
- › Why Spotify Shuffle is Not Truly Random