When you head to the Spotify album view, the play button used to have a little shuffle symbol that would let you play the album in random order by default. However, that has been removed, apparently at the request of Adele.
As first reported by the BBC, Adele requested Spotify remove the shuffle button from the album view. This makes it so users would listen to albums in the order the artist intended. Spotify was happy to oblige the artist’s request, and now the “Play” button on the album screen starts with the first song and plays the album in order.
Anything for you 🙏✨
— Spotify (@Spotify) November 21, 2021
The change comes hot on the heels of Adele releasing her new album, so it makes sense that she’d want fans to listen to her work in the correct order.
Spotify made a statement to The Verge, calling the change a new feature. “As Adele mentioned, we are excited to share that we have begun rolling out a new Premium feature that has been long requested by both users and artists to make play the default button on all albums,” the spokesperson said. “For those users still wishing to shuffle an album, they can go to the Now Playing View and select the shuffle toggle.”
Thankfully, you can still shuffle an album if you’d like to. You need to go to the Now Playing View within Spotify, and you’ll be able to randomize the order of tracks. However, it will no longer be the default, which is an interesting change by the company.
- › Netflix Is on Spotify Now
- › Logitech MX Mechanical Keyboard Review: Easy on the Eyes, Not the Fingertips
- › The Origins of Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X, and Ctrl+Z Explained
- › How to Make Your Facebook Account More Private
- › This Is How Steve Jobs Killed Adobe Flash
- › What Do “FR” and “FRFR” Mean?
- › AMD’s Ryzen 7000 Series Are the First 5nm Desktop CPUs Ever