Sick of forgetting to mute your mic during Teams calls? Windows is going to make it easier as the latest Dev channel Insider Preview has a feature that lets you mute your microphone right from the taskbar in Windows 11.
Microsoft announced Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22494 in a blog post, and the main thing it adds is a quick microphone button to the taskbar that you can click to mute your mic during a Team call without having to open the app’s window. If your dog suddenly starts barking or you feel the need to badmouth your boss, you can hit this button and save yourself some embarrassment.
Interestingly, the feature is only coming to Microsoft Teams at first, but Microsoft says other developers can add the feature to their call apps on an app-by-app basis when the feature is widely available. “Other communications applications can also add this capability to their applications. The capability to mute or unmute your call applies only to your current call,” Microsoft’s blog post reads.
Microsoft noted that this feature would be made available to a small subset of Windows Insiders on the Dev channel and that others would receive it gradually. So even if you download Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22494, there’s a chance you might not see the feature just yet. Make sure it’s there before you start screaming obscenities during your next meeting thinking you have a quick way to mute it.
Outside of the mute feature, the build also comes with all sorts of fixes and small tweaks that should make Windows 11 a more enjoyable OS to use, though they won’t completely change your day-to-day workflows. For example, there was an issue where Tooltips would appear in random places on the Taskbar, but that’s been solved now.
- › Windows 11’s Taskbar Is Getting a “Share” Button for Teams
- › Finally: Windows 11’s Multi-Monitor Taskbar Clock Is Almost Here
- › What’s New in Windows 11’s First Big Update (February 2022)
- › Microsoft Teams Comes to Workplace by Meta
- › How to Join a Microsoft Teams Meeting
- › Windows 11 Gets a Keyboard Shortcut to Mute Your Mic
- › PC Power Consumption Is Getting Out of Control
- › How to Make Branded Email Templates With Layouts in Gmail