Apple announced new AirPods at its October 18, 2021 event. Priced at $179, these third-generation AirPods have a new design and bring many features found in the AirPods Pro to Apple’s standard wireless earbuds.
The first thing you’ll notice is the redesigned shape with shorter stems: The new third-generation AirPods look more like Apple’s higher-end AirPods Pro than the second-generation AirPods.
Many features found in the AirPods Pro have been added to third-generation AirPods. You’ll get spatial audio with dynamic head tracking, adaptive EQ, and “force sensor controls,” meaning you can press or long-press a button rather than just tapping your finger on an AirPod. They’re also now sweat and water-resistant, just like the AirPods Pro.
The AirPods case has also seen some upgrades. It supports MagSafe for wireless charging and Apple’s Find My network for finding lost AirPods. Battery life is an hour longer with 6 hours of listening time and 4 hours of talk time.
Those are just a few of the larger improvements, but Apple is also promising improved audio quality with FaceTime calls and a new driver for better audio quality.
The third-generation AirPods Pro are available on the Apple Store for preorder starting October 18, 2021, and they’ll be available in stores starting October 26, 2021. We look forward to trying them out!
- › AirPods 3 Have Better Battery Life, but It’s Not Clear Why
- › Your Mac is Getting macOS Monterey on October 25, 2021
- › Windows 11 Is Getting Better Support for AirPods
- › Which AirPods Should You Buy?
- › The New Outlook for Windows Is Open for All to Try
- › How to Easily Work With Excel Tables in the Mobile App
- › The New Fire TV Cube Has Two HDMI Ports and Wi-Fi 6E
- › New Eero Wi-Fi Hardware Is Ready to Steal Ubiquiti’s Thunder