Microsoft announced several new Windows PCs during its Surface event, but Android was not left out. The Surface Duo 2 is the successor to the company’s first foldable phone. This time around, it packs 5G, better cameras, and more.
How the Surface Duo 2 Improves on the First
The original Surface Duo was an exciting device, but it certainly was not without problems. Microsoft has attempted to address many of those issues with the Surface Duo 2.
The two displays have been slightly enlarged from 5.6-inches to 5.8-inches. That puts the full unfolded screen space at 8.3-inches diagonally—but there’s still a gap between the two displays. The displays are AMOLED with a 1344×1892 resolution.
One of the biggest downfalls of the original Duo was its lackluster camera. This time around, Microsoft has included three cameras on the rear and one selfie camera. The rear cameras are 12MP main, 12MP telephoto, and 16MP wide-angle.
The other area where the original Duo suffered was performance. It limped out of the gate with outdated specs, but the Duo 2 is in line with other high-end Android devices. That includes 5G support, the Snapdragon 888 processor, and 8GB of RAM.
Surface Duo 2 Specifications
Here are the Surface Duo 2’s specifications, courtesy of Microsoft:
- Operating System: Android 11
- Display: Dual 5.8-inch, AMOLED, 1344×1892, (8.3-inch opened)
- SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888
- Memory: 8GB RAM
- Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- Rear Cameras, Main: 12MP, f/1.7 aperture, 27mm, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, and OIS
- Rear Cameras, Telephoto: 12MP, f/2.4 aperture, 51mm, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, and 2X optical zoom in
- Rear Cameras, Ultra-Wide: 16MP, f/2.2 aperture, 13mm, 1.0µm, 110o diagonal field of view with distortion correction
- Front Camera: 12MP, f/2.0 aperture, 24mm, 1.0µm
- Security: Fingerprint Sensor
- Connectivity: 5G, Bluetooth 5.1, NFC, Wi-Fi 6
- Ports: USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
- Audio: Stereo Speaker
- Battery: 4,449mAh
- Dimensions (open): 145.2 mm (H) x 184.5 mm (W) x 5.5 mm (T)
- Dimensions (closed): 145.2 mm (H) x 92.1 mm (W) x 11.0 mm (T at hinge)
- Weight: 284g
- Colors: Glacier White, Obsidian Black
Surface Duo 2 Release Date and Price
The Microsoft Surface Duo 2 is available for pre-order starting today for $1,499.99. That’s $100 more than the original, but the specs of this year’s version are much closer to justifying that price. It’s available in “Glacier” (white) and “Obsidian” (black).
There are a couple of accessories available for the Surface Duo 2 as well. This year’s bumper case comes in black, white, blue, and orange. Surface Pen users may want to grab the “Pen Cover,” which adds a magnetic holder to the device.
- › All the New Surface PCs Microsoft Announced for Windows 11
- › Surface Duo 2: Why Reviews Are Mixed for Microsoft’s Dual-Screen Phone
- › This Is How Steve Jobs Killed Adobe Flash
- › What Can You Do With the USB Port on Your Router?
- › What Do “FR” and “FRFR” Mean?
- › 10 Things Blocking Your Wi-Fi Signal at Home
- › 4 Ways to Ruin Your Smartphone’s Battery
- › How to Make Your Facebook Account More Private