Instagram is a popular outlet for spontaneous texts thanks to its variety of goofy filters and options. These are also the kind of conversations you don’t want others to save permanently. Here’s how to send disappearing messages on Instagram using Vanish Mode.
For dispatching self-destructing texts, Instagram offers a feature called “Vanish Mode” on its messaging service. An identical feature can be found in Facebook Messenger. Any text or media you send in Vanish Mode is automatically wiped as soon as the recipient sees it.
Next, open the Instagram app on your phone and swipe in from the left edge of the screen (or tap the text bubble button at the top right) to view a list of your direct messages.
Select the conversation that you’d like to use Vanish Mode for.
Perform a swipe up gesture above the text box to activate Vanish Mode. Once that’s successful, Instagram will update your chat background with a darker shade and throw in a few animations to let you know Vanish Mode is active.
In Vanish Mode, you can continue to chat normally and send messages in all the usual formats, like direct stories, voice clips, and more.
The difference is that once you swipe up again to leave Vanish Mode and the other person reads whatever you have sent, Instagram will delete those messages.
While the recipient is free to take a screenshot of your messages in Vanish Mode, Instagram will notify you if and when they do.
Do note that Instagram retains your Vanish Mode media and texts for up to an hour after they have been deleted. This is in case the recipient files a report for abuse and harassment and Instagram needs the Vanish Mode data to take action.
- › How to Add Special Effects to Your Instagram Messages
- › How to Unsend an Instagram Message
- › Does Instagram Notify When You Screenshot a Story or Post?
- › How to Send Disappearing Messages in Facebook Messenger
- › How to Block or Unblock Someone on TikTok
- › Microsoft Is Transforming Bing Into an AI Search Engine
- › The AirPods Pro Has New Competition: The OnePlus Buds Pro 2
- › Got a Roku? You Can Get 6 Months of Free DoorDash DashPass