Because Steam allows you to set your username to almost anything, it can be hard to find friends when they share names with others. Instead, send a Friend Code that is always unique.
Each Friend Code is eight digits long and can be found in the Steam client.
To access the “Add A Friend” page and your Friend Code in the Steam desktop program for Windows, Mac, and Linux, click the “Friends & Chat” button in the bottom right.
Click the “Add A Friend” button in the top right of your Friends List. It resembles a person with a plus sign on the right.
This will load the “Add a Friend” tab in your Steam client. Here, you can view your eight-digit Friend Code. Click “Copy” to put those digits on your clipboard so you can paste them in a message or email to your friends.
You can add friends by entering their codes into the “Enter a Friend Code” box under your friend code. Once you enter their eight digits, you’ll see their profile appear alongside a “Send Invite” button that will allow you to add them to your Friends List.
Like most Steam pages, you can also access your “Add A Friend” Steam page through any web browser. Navigate your browser to
https://steamcommunity.com/id/USERNAME/friends/add, where “USERNAME” is replaced with your username. You might be asked to log in.
- › How to Appear Offline on Steam
- › Using Wi-Fi for Everything? Here’s Why You Shouldn’t
- › What Does “TFTI” Mean, and How Do You Use It?
- › Google’s Pixel 6a and Pixel 7 Look Like Its Best Phones Yet
- › Why Unlimited Mobile Data Isn’t Actually Unlimited
- › 5 Annoying Features You Can Disable on Samsung Phones
- › MSI Clutch GM41 Lightweight Wireless Mouse Review: Versatile Featherweight