Windows 10 is packed with convenient keyboard shortcuts. One especially handy shortcut lets you open File Explorer in an instant from any application. This trick dates back to Windows 95, and it still works on Windows 10 today.
If you’d like to open File Explorer with a keyboard shortcut, press Windows+E, and an Explorer window will pop up.
From there you can manage your files as usual.
To open up another Explorer window, press Windows+E again, or press Ctrl+N if Explorer is already open. To close an Explorer window with a keyboard shortcut, press Ctrl+W.
If you’re interested in learning more, explore the many other Windows keyboard shortcuts available.
- › Why Do Keyboards Have a Windows Key? Here’s Where It Started
- › How to Open File Explorer Using Command Prompt on Windows 10
- › Here’s Where Windows 10 Stores Its Default Wallpapers
- › Get an On-Screen Windows Key Shortcut Guide on Windows 10
- › How to Open File Explorer on Windows 11
- › How to Play ‘Super Smash Bros. Melee’ Online (with Slippi)
- › “Atari Was Very, Very Hard” Nolan Bushnell on Atari, 50 Years Later
- › These Gadgets Banish Mosquitos