Most digital gaming storefronts have refund policies when you can’t run, mistakenly purchase, or just don’t like a game. The Epic Games Store is no different, giving you an easy form to request a refund.
How to Request a Refund from the Epic Games Store
Epic’s refund policy is similar to Steam’s. According to the policy, you can get a full refund for any reason as long as you’re returning the game within 14 days of purchase and with less than two hours of play time. You can’t get a refund if you’ve been banned from that game for any reason, including Terms of Service violations.
Select “Epic Games Store” to access the Store’s help site.
Click the blue “Contact Us” button in the top-right corner of the page to open the Contact Us form.
Fill out the form with your language, name, and email address. Although the support form says your name is optional, Epic Games might reach out to verify your identity, and providing this upfront will expedite the process. Under Product Title, select the game you want to return; in the field under that, designate the operating system you used. Open the “Use the Drop-down Selection That Best Describes Your Inquiry” menu and click “Refund Request / Purchasing Issues.”
Describe your problem. We recommend you give a short, clear reason why you want a refund to make sure everything goes smoothly. When you’re done, type the security code, and click “Submit.” You will receive email confirmation from Epic Games that your request was received.
What You Need to Know About the Refund Process
Refunds can always be tricky things when it comes to massive companies like Epic. Here are a few tips to make sure your refund request goes smoothly:
- When describing your problem in the Contact form, include the Order ID that came in the email receipt from your initial purchase to expedite the refund request.
- Remember that returns must be requested within 14 days of purchase, and you will be ineligible for a refund if the game has more than two hours of playtime.
- If you bought a code outside of the Epic Games store, you’ll have to ask that storefront for a refund.
- You cannot return something if you were banned from that game or violated the terms of service.
- If you bought a game from the Epic Games store at full price, and it goes on sale within the refund window of 14 days since purchase and under two hours of playtime, you can get a refund and then repurchase the game. Epic explicitly allows this behavior to maximize your savings if you buy a game right before it’s discounted, and does not consider it to be refund abuse.
- If you want to cancel a refund request, reply to the support ticket email you received when you first filed the refund request. Ask to cancel the original request.
Your mileage may vary, so let us know if and how it does in the comments.
Epic Games is hoping to steal market share from Valve’s dominant Steam platform by catering to developers by taking a smaller revenue cut (12 percent) than Valve (30 percent). Epic also offers free licenses of their Unreal engine for devs who make their games at least a temporarily exclusive on its platform. Let’s hope this formerly controversial return policy continues to improve PC gaming for us all.