Should you need to find the most commonly occurring value in your spreadsheet, Google Sheets has a function that automatically analyzes your document for you. Here’s how to use the MODE function to find a value that frequently appears.
Fire up Google Sheets and open a spreadsheet with datasets for which you want to find the most commonly occurring value.
Click on an empty cell and type
=MODE(<value1>, [<value2>, ...]) into the cell or the formula entry field, replacing
<value2> with the values or ranges to consider for calculation. The first value is mandatory, and any additional values are optional. It will look something like this:
After you press the “Enter” key, the cell will now contain the most common number of the dataset you put in the function.
You can also use a range of cells as values in the function. It will look like this:
Press the “Enter” key, and the most common value will appear in the cell with the function.
However, if your dataset contains more than one commonly occurring value, only the first one will show, ignoring all other possible occurrences. Instead, you will need to use the MODE.MULT function to show all modes that occur in the dataset. It will look like this:
Press the “Enter” key, and all values that frequently occur in the dataset will appear in the cell with the function and subsequent cells underneath.
- › NZXT Signal 4K30 Capture Card Review: Lossless High-Quality Footage
- › A World Without Wires: 25 Years of Wi-Fi
- › What’s New in Windows 11’s 22H2 Update: Top 10 New Features
- › What Are the Best Nintendo Switch Games in 2022?
- › How Much Does It Cost to Operate an Electric Lawn Mower?
- › What to Do If You Drop Your Smartphone in the Ocean