If you like a clean desktop, Windows can be a little obnoxious. Many programs you install will automatically add their own desktop icon, so you’ll be constantly deleting them. Skip the hassle and hide all your desktop icons instead.
If you’re using a PC with an empty desktop, this option will also let you re-enable all those hidden icons.
To hide or unhide all your desktop icons, right-click on your desktop, point to “View,” and click “Show Desktop Icons.” This option works on Windows 10, 8, 7, and even XP. This option toggles desktop icons on and off.
That’s it! This option is easy to find and use—if you know it’s there.
RELATED: How To Organize Your Messy Windows Desktop (And Keep It That Way)
Windows also lets you hide its built-in desktop icons, like “This PC,” “Network,” and “Recycle Bin.” If those are still missing—or if you’d like to hide those icons but not the rest of your desktop icons—you’ll need to control which desktop icons appear in the Settings app or Control Panel.
- › 10 Awesome Windows 10 Desktop Tips and Tricks
- › How to Show or Hide Specific Desktop Icons on Windows 10
- › How to Hide or Delete the Recycle Bin Icon in Windows 11, 10, or 7
- › How to Get a “My Computer” Icon on the Desktop in Windows 10
- › You Should Store Files on Your Desktop, Here’s Why
- › How to Make Desktop Icons Smaller on Windows 10 or Windows 11
- › How to Change Which Desktop Icons Appear on Windows 11
- › I Bought a Leather Phone Case and I’m Never Going Back