How to Convert Media Files with VLC
To start converting, open VLC and click Media > Convert/Save.
Click “Add” to the right of the File Selection list on the File tab. Browse to the video or audio file you want to convert and open it.
Click “Convert/Save” to continue.
Under Convert, select the video or audio codec and container to which you want to convert. For example, to transcode a video to a reasonably standard MP4 format, choose “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4).” To convert an audio file to an MP3 that should work practically everywhere, select “Audio – MP3.”
Click the wrench icon (the “Edit Selected Profile” button) to the right of the Profile list for more options.
Click “Browse” and choose a location and filename for the output file.
When you’re done, click “Start” to perform the conversion.
VLC’s progress bar gradually fills up as it completes the conversion process.
More VLC Conversion Tips
This feature is more powerful than it looks! In addition to converting video and audio files as you would in any other application, you can:
- Convert a video file to MP3 or another audio format and effectively extract the audio from a video file.
- Convert a DVD to a video file, ripping the contents of the DVD.
- Select your computer’s desktop as the capture device, and create a screencast.
- Batch-convert multiple files simultaneously by adding multiple files to the File Selection list after clicking Convert/Save in the menu.
While we’ve covered VLC’s awesome file conversion capabilities many times, this article was inspired by a SwiftOnSecurity tweet. VLC is packed with useful features most people have never heard of, including Chromecast support.
NEED TO CONVERT A VIDEO FILE?
1.) Open VLC media player
2.) [Media] > [Convert/Save] > File > [Add] > [Convert/Save]
3.) Convert > Profile > Video H.264+MP3 (MP4)
4.) Destination file > [Browse]
— SwiftOnSecurity (@SwiftOnSecurity) July 21, 2019
- › How to Download Songs From SoundCloud
- › How to Convert MOV Videos to MP4
- › How to Change File Type on Windows 10 and 11
- › How to Make a Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation Into a Video
- › How to Play Unsupported Video Formats on Windows 10
- › How to Record the Sound Coming From Your PC (Even Without Stereo Mix)
- › You Need an “Idea Bucket”
- › How to Add Text to a Cell With a Formula in Excel