Is the TV show you want to watch on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or HBO? And which service has the best price for a digital movie rental? The below solutions will answer those questions in an instant.
Search From Your TV’s Streaming Box
All the big modern TV-streaming boxes, including the Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, and Android TV devices—have built-in search features. They search multiple apps at the same time, and you can type out the name of a show or movie using your remote control or speak it aloud with your voice.
- Roku: Use the search feature on your Roku’s home screen to search for the name of a movie or TV show. You can also press the voice button on your remote control and speak the name of a movie or TV show to search for it. Your Roku will show you where the movie or TV show is available across multiple services, and you can select an option to start watching it quickly. Roku also lets you search for an actor or director’s name.
- Apple TV: The Apple TV works just like the Roku here. You can either use the Search app on your Apple TV or ask Siri for the name of a movie or TV show. With Siri, you can also search by genre, actor, and other details.
- Fire TV: Amazon’s Fire TV also lets you search for movies and TV shows, either with the search feature or via Alexa. If a movie or TV show is available on multiple services, you’ll see a “More Ways to Watch” option that shows you other services offering the same movie or TV show.
- Android TV: Google’s Android TV also lets you search within apps. Just use the search box on the home screen, or press the microphone button on your remote and ask Google Assistant for the movie or TV show you want to watch. It’ll search multiple streaming platforms.
Each of the above streaming boxes is different, and some boxes may search more or different sources than others. You may want to try a different search solution if you can’t find what you’re looking for.
Use a Website on Your Computer, or App on Your Phone
Several websites and applications let you search for the name of a TV show or movie and show you exactly where that media is available for streaming online. They’ll even show you where it’s included free with a subscription and where it’s available for rental or purchase, letting you compare prices.
This is particularly convenient if you’re using a streaming platform that doesn’t offer this integrated search—like a PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Chromecast, or smart TV—or if you’re watching movies and TV shows on your phone, tablet, or computer.
We like Just Watch. It searches more than forty legitimate streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, YouTube, and iTunes. Unlike some other options, it’s available for other countries, too—not just the USA.
Head to the website, search for a movie or TV show, and you’ll see exactly where it’s available. It’s a lot faster than searching several different services and comparing the price. If you’re searching for a TV show, you can even look at individual seasons or episodes to see where they’re available.
Just Watch is available as a free app for iPhone, iPad, and Android, too. You can install the app on your phone and quickly search across all the big platforms.
We’ve tried out other similar websites in the past, including Can I Stream It?. But Just Watch seems to provide the best, most up-to-date search across the most services right now.
In a pinch, though, you can even use Google. Search for “watch” followed by the name of a TV show or movie, and you’ll often see recommendations of official places where you can watch it online. But Just Watch searches more services for more TV shows and movies, so it’s a better option than Google.
Image Credit: Syafiq Adnan/Shutterstock.com, Roku
- › The Best Streaming Devices of 2023
- › How to Stream Every Batman Movie in 2022
- › How to Keep Track of the TV Shows You’re Watching
- › How to Stream the 77th Annual Golden Globes Without Cable
- › What Is Amazon Freevee, and Is It Any Good?
- › Contact Posters Are Coming to Your iPhone
- › What’s New in macOS 14 Sonoma?
- › Apple’s New Mac Studio and Mac Pro Are Here