Google Docs doesn’t automatically include page numbers for your documents, but it’s easy enough to add them to your header or footer. Here’s how to get it done.
Note: Adding page numbers is available only for use on Docs; neither Sheets nor Slides support this feature.
How to Add Page Numbers to Google Docs
Open up your document and head to Insert > Header & Page Number > Page Number. You’ll see a pop-up window where you can choose a page number style.
You have four options for how page numbers can appear:
- Add page numbers to the top-right of every page.
- Add page numbers to top-right, starting from the second page. You will use this option if your document has a title page that you don’t want to be numbered.
- Add page numbers to the bottom-right of every page.
- Add page numbers to bottom-right, starting from the second page.
One caveat to Google Docs’ numbering system is that you can only ever skip the first page of a document. It doesn’t have the same kinds of options a fuller word processor like Microsoft Word provides, which lets you do things like change the numbering with each section or have odd, and even page numbers appear in different locations.
If you would rather the first page have a different number, or even add a title in the header/footer, click anywhere in the header/footer and make sure the “Different First Page” checkbox is selected. You can now replace the page number with whatever you like.
Although Google Docs only ever adds the page number to the right side, you can override this by opening the header/footer area of a page and then clicking the “Left Align” or “Center Align” buttons on the toolbar.
- › How to Have Different Headers and Footers Per Page in Google Docs
- › How to Delete a Page in Google Docs
- › How to Find the Page and Word Count in Google Docs
- › The Beginner’s Guide to Google Docs
- › How to Add Headers and Footers in Google Docs
- › How to Add a Page on Google Docs
- › What Is Pageless Format in Google Docs, and How Do You Use It?
- › The Logitech Litra Will Brighten Your Webcam View at $10 Off