Every geek wants to pretend that they are a dangerous hacker with the ability to take down any PC, and after you read this article, you can do show off your skills with nothing more than Notepad.
Of course, we’re not making an actual virus—it’s a fake virus. In fact, it’s a test virus. But it’s still fun, and today’s article is sponsored by reader Erik, who wrote in and told us about it.
Create a Fake Virus with Notepad
What we’re actually doing is re-creating the same technique talked about on eicar.org’s test virus page, except we’ve got better screenshots.
Open up a Notepad window, paste in the following text, and then save it.
It should look exactly like this once you’ve pasted it…
And then you’ll almost instantly see a big fat warning that you’ve created a virus—as long as you’ve got anti-virus installed and working, of course. If you don’t see any warning, you should probably make sure your virus scanning software is properly enabled.
Your geek points will be wired to your WoW account, you dangerous hacker, you.
- › The 50 Best How-To Geek Windows Articles of 2010
- › Buy a Waterproof Speaker for the Pool, & Grab More Early Summer Sales
- › Windows 11 Has New CPU and RAM Monitoring Widgets
- › Static IP vs. Dynamic IP: What Is the Difference?
- › You Can Now Use Apple Music Classical on Android Phones
- › The Best Google Pixel Cases of 2023
- › Does Your Steam Deck SD Card Affect Game Loading Times?