Let’s say your car breaks down and you have no idea where you are. You could call someone and tell them how to get to you… or you could just shoot them a quick text with your exact location from Google Maps.
This is a handy feature built into Google’s Messages app—the default SMS/MMS application on Pixel phones and some other Android devices. If you’re not using one of those phones (for example, if you’re using a Samsung Galaxy phone), you can simply download it from the Google Play Store and make it your default texting app. Facebook Messenger has a similar location-sharing feature
To get started, open Google Messages on your Android device. If this is your first time, you’ll be asked to set it as your default SMS/MMS app. Go ahead and do that if you haven’t already.
Next, open or start a conversation with the person you want to know your location. Tap the “+” button next to the text field.
Here you’ll see a bunch of different things you can send. Select “Location” from the menu.
You’ll be asked to grant the app location permission if you haven’t already. Make sure to choose “Precise” for this to work properly.
A map screen will appear with your current location selected. There are also nearby places you can choose from in the section below. Tap the send arrow when you have the location you want.
A Google Maps link to your location will be sent to the recipient. They can open the link to see where you’re at and get there.
You’re all set! It should be mentioned that you can share your location directly from Google Maps as well, though the recipient needs to be in your contacts list. The Messages method is a little more straightforward, but it’s completely up to you.
- › How to Share Your Location on Android
- › How to Find Your Current Location on Google Maps
- › How to Add a Shortcut to Someone’s Location on Google Maps
- › How to Get Location Tracking Alerts in Google Maps
- › How to Share Your Location from an iPhone or Apple Watch
- › Windows 11 Is Adding Even More Widgets
- › 3 Reasons to Avoid Your Computer’s Built-In Sound Card
- › Samsung Made a Music Video for the Galaxy S23’s Ringtone