Instagram’s new Story feature is…divisive. I’m a big fan, but other members of the How-To Geek team think they’re just a waste of screen real estate. Or maybe there are just annoying people you want to follow on Instagram, but not see everything they post to their Story. In that case, the best thing to do is mute them. Here’s how.
RELATED: What Are Instagram "Stories," and How Do I Use Them?
Open Instagram and go to the top of your feed. Swipe through the Stories at the top until you find the person you want to mute.
Tap and hold on the thumbnail for the account you want to mute and then tap Mute [AccountName]’s Story. I’m muting brosbeingbasic.
Muting moves their Story to the far right of the feed and greys it out so you don’t see when they’ve posted a new image. This makes it way easier to keep on top of the people you do want to follow.
If you want to unmute an account, just tap and hold on their greyed out thumbnail and select Unmute [AccountName]’s Story.
- › Do the People You Follow on Social Media Spark Joy?
- › YouTube Music vs. Spotify: Which Is Better for Streaming?
- › Grab an Anker 65W USB-C Charger for Just $35 Today
- › Roku’s New Smart TVs Are Already on Sale, Starting at $120
- › The New Kubuntu XE Could Be the Linux Laptop for You
- › ASUS’s Super Silent RTX 4080 is Now on Sale
- › ChatGPT Can Now Surf the Web With Plugins