Maybe you’ve heard this and wondered if it’s actually true. Truthfully, any amount of smoking is hazardous, while sitting is generally safe. The problem is that too many people spend way too much time sitting, which definitely increases the risk of developing multiple health issues.
Why Being Sedentary is Dangerous
What many don’t realize is that spending too much time sitting carries risks beyond not getting the benefits of exercise. Recent research reports that many now spend more than half of their waking time sitting. Some studies indicate that those who are sedentary have at least a 60% greater chance of developing serious health issues, including some that could lead to death, than those who are more active. Here are some problems associated with being sedentary:
- Too much sitting causes muscle stiffening. This can lead to muscle tension, especially in the neck, shoulders, and lower back. Additionally, tension in the upper body can cause headaches.
- Too much time seated can compromise the circulation in your lower body, which can lead to varicose veins and blood clots in addition to causing stiffness and swelling.
- Besides the fact that sedentary individuals don’t get the exercise they need, there is evidence to suggest that the very act of sitting for hours on end has a negative effect on metabolism and could increase insulin resistance, which can lead to weight gain and diabetes.
How a Sit-Stand Desk Can Help
A sit-stand desk allows you to switch from sitting to standing at your workstation. Top models require very little effort and time to adjust. Here are some benefits associated with a sit-stand workstation:
- More time standing can help you burn more calories because standing actually requires more energy than sitting
- A sit-stand desk means you’ll get a little more exercise just by changing positions. This can help to keep muscles stretched, preventing stiffness. Changing positions also relieves pressure on your back and can relieve position-driven tension in your upper body.
- Changing positions can prevent circulation issues such as swelling, blood clots, and varicose veins.
- Sitting for too long makes us uncomfortable. When we get uncomfortable, we have a hard time sitting still and concentrating. Going from sitting to standing is its own little “wake-up call,” which can help us to refocus. Keeping our brains in top working order helps us get more done during the work day and can help us stave off memory problems.
- Changing positions frequently can keep blood flowing more efficiently, keep our minds sharp, and keep our bodies happier. All of these things can lead to a better mood, which also makes us more productive and less likely to develop signs or symptoms of depression.
Why FlexiSpot Beats the Competition
- It rises vertically only, so it takes up much less space than models that must also slide forward and backward.
- The keyboard tray features twelve height adjustments and has plenty of room for a full-sized keyboard and mouse.
- The large writing surface easily accommodates your phone or tablet.
- This riser can readily hold a monitor arm that allows you to raise and lower your monitor as you change positions.
Given the many risks associated with sitting too much and the benefits of a sit-stand desk, isn’t it time you considered upgrading your workstation as a way to improve your health and make your work day more productive and less of a pain in the neck?