By default, when you post a photo to Instagram, it’s visible to every other user. If you add any hashtags to your photo, like say, #landscape or #selfie, anyone who searches for that hashtag will be able to find it.
While these defaults work if you’re a photographer or brand, some people might feel a bit too public, so let’s look at how to make your Instagram account private.
Make Your Account Private
Open Instagram and head to your profile page. In the top right corner, click the Settings icon.
This will bring you to the Settings screen. Down on the bottom, flip the “Private Account” toggle on.
Now only your Followers will be able to see your posts. You’ll also have to approve anyone new who wants to follow you.
Approving New Followers
When someone new tries to follow you, they’ll send a Follow Request. The next time you log in to the app, you’ll get a notification. Tap the heart icon to view it.
At the top of the Notifications screen, you’ll see your Follow Requests. Tap the area to view them. You can then Confirm or Delete them.
- › How to Stop Specific People Seeing Your Instagram Story
- › Can You Stop People from Adding You to Groups on Instagram?
- › How to Restrict Someone on Instagram
- › How to Get a Link to a Photo or Video on Instagram
- › How to Switch to an Instagram Business Account
- › Instagram Personal, Business, and Creator Accounts: What’s the Difference?
- › How to Remove Followers on Instagram
- › Microsoft Is Transforming Bing Into an AI Search Engine