WhatsApp is a great service, but anyone with your phone number can message you through it. Whether you want to stop a particular spambot or former friend from contacting you, here’s how to do it.
What Does a Block Do?
When you block someone in WhatsApp:
- Messages they send to you will not be delivered.
- They will see that messages are not delivered, but won’t know why.
- They will no longer be able to see your Last Seen and Online information.
- Messages they have sent you will not be deleted.
- Message you have sent them will not be deleted.
- You will not be removed as a contact on their phone.
- They will not be removed as a contact on your phone.
If that sounds like what you want, read on.
How to Block Someone on WhatsApp
To block someone on WhatsApp for iOS, go to your chat with them and tap on their name along the top.
Scroll down and tap Block this Contact. Tap Block again to confirm you want to block them.
You can also go to Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked.
Here you’ll see a list of all your blocked contacts. Tap Add New and search for the contact you want to block. Select them and they’ll be added to your blocked list.
To block someone on WhatsApp for Android, go to your chat with them and tap the three dots in the top right corner. Tap Block and confirm it. They’ll now be blocked.
Alternatively, you can go to Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked Contacts, tap the add button and search for the contact you want to block.
How to Unblock Someone on WhatsApp
There are a few ways to unblock someone on WhatsApp. If you try to send a blocked contact a message, you’ll be prompted to unblock them. Tap Unblock to do it.
You can also reverse the process you used to block them. Go to your chat with the person you want to block. On iOS, tap their name, scroll down and tap Unblock this Contact. On Android, tap the three dots and then Unblock.
Finally, you can go to the Blocked Contacts screen. On iOS, tap Edit, then the red circle, then Unblock.
On Android, tap or tap and hold the name of the contact you want to unblock and tap Unblock from the pop up menu.
- › How to Block Someone on LinkedIn
- › How to Block a Number on Google Voice
- › How to Know if Someone Blocked You on WhatsApp
- › How to Delete a WhatsApp Contact
- › How to Mute a Chat Indefinitely on WhatsApp
- › How to Mute WhatsApp Calls on Android
- › 10 Samsung Galaxy Features You Should Be Using
- › These Gadgets Banish Mosquitos