There are countless ways to copy files between computers, including great sync options like Dropbox, but if you just want to share one of your folders from your Mac to your Windows computer, you can do that easily.
Of course, if you want to go the opposite way and mount a Windows share on your Mac, we’ve also got you covered.
RELATED: How to Share Files Between Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs on a Network
Share a Folder from OS X to Windows
To start you need to open the Sharing preference pane in System Preferences.
Once you are in there select on the File Sharing option.
Then you will want to click on the “+” underneath the Shared Folders column.
Then choose the folder you want to share. In this example we will use Share Me folder.
Next click the Options… button. In order be able to see the files from the Windows, machine you will need to click to the Share files and folder using SMB option, Also you will want to choose the users accounts who can access the files.
Now you will be able to access your files from the Windows machine. If you need assistance with mapping a network drive in Windows check out our article on Map a Network Drive from XP to Windows 7.
- › Ask How-To Geek: Fixing the Windows Boot Record, Sharing Mac Folders with Windows, and Reviving the Outlook Reminder Bell
- › How To Wirelessly Access Network Shares from Your iOS Device
- › How to Set Up Network File Sharing on macOS, Without Sharing Your Username and Password
- › 5 Ways to See If Your Phone Is Being Tapped
- › Update iTunes on Windows Now to Fix a Security Flaw
- › Whatever Happened to Two-Picture TVs?
- › How to Test and Replace Your CMOS Battery
- › 6 Ways Our Tech Is Better Than Star Trek’s