Think you have the perfect combination of geek knowledge and writing skills? We’re looking for a few experienced writers to join our team.
NOTE: WE have closed hiring since we originally published this posting, but will update and re-publish this post when we are hiring again. We are always accepting applications for future positions, so feel free to email us anyway.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for writers to cover how-to guides and explainers across a myriad of topics. We are not looking for writers that focus solely on Linux or tech news writers. We’re talking aboutfor full-time, paid positions here, but if you aren’t sure if it’s the right fit for you, we’re open to starting you off as freelance before making the jump to full time.
All of our writers should have the following qualities:
- You must be a geek at heart, always looking to learn more about technology and make your gadgets work better.
- You must be able to write tips, how-to articles, and explainers about complex topics that are clear and easy to understand, even to non-experts. Again, we are not looking for tech news writers.
- You must be creative, and have the ability to generate article ideas, take suggestions, and make topics interesting and exciting.
- You must be at least 18 years old and have your own computer.
- You must have solid English writing skills.
- You should have some basic screenshot and image editing chops. HTML skills are a plus.
Here’s a couple of our previous articles so you can get an idea of what we’re looking for in terms of quality and content. Please make sure to look through these before you decide to apply:
- How-To Article: How to Use Siri to Control the Lights in Your House
- Explainer: Do LED Light Bulbs Really Last 10 Years?
- Explainer: Do I Need a Graphics Card in My PC?
- How-To Article: How to Hide NVIDIA’s GeForce Experience In-Game Overlay Icons
- How-To Article: How to Get Better Performance from Steam In-Home Streaming
These are just a few recent smarthome and gaming examples, but they are all solid articles that we’re proud of.
How to Apply
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject How-To Geek Writer and include the following in your email:
- Explain why your geek skills are worth touting to millions of readers each month.
- Your name and location.
- Any previous experience you have with writing and/or blogging, particularly on the beat in question (if applicable).
- Whether or not you are currently employed, and what you do if you are.
- A brief overview of the topics you are familiar with, and what operating systems/computers you have access to.
- Most Important: We want a writing sample. If you have previous writing to showcase, particularly of the how-to or explainer variety, include a link to it in your email. If you have a personal blog, a forum account, or a commenter account from anywhere, feel free to include that as well.
We don’t have normal office hours, or even an office, so you can be located anywhere–this is strictly a telecommuting job (although only US residents are eligible for the full-time positions).
Bonus points if you can find the grammatical error in this post.
So what are you waiting for? Email us already!