There are a lot of new users to Windows 7 who are not happy with the new Start Menu and wish they could revert to the Classic menu. Here is how to at least get back the Classic “All Programs” Menu.
Remember the Classic Start Menu in XP where you could show the All Programs Menu? Let’s take a look at getting that back in Windows 7.
Note: This trick uses a Registry hack so you’ll want to make sure you back up the Registry before making any changes.
Get All Programs Menu Back
First click on the Start Menu and type regedit into the Search box and hit Enter.
Now we need to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders. Double-click on Favorites on the right side…
Now change the Value data to the following and click OK:
Next scroll down a bit further to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. Double-click on the Favorites entry.
Again we need to edit the Value data to:
After making the changes close out of the Registry Editor and right-click on the Start Menu and select Properties.
In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties Window click on the Start Menu tab then click on the Customize button.
Scroll down and click the box next to Favorites menu, click OK, and reboot your system.
When you come back from the Restart you will see Programs on the right side of the Start Menu and have a list of All Programs similar to that of XP.
While it’s not quite the same as the good old XP days, if you’re looking to get the All Programs Menu back, this Registry hack will do the trick without installing 3rd party software.
If you’re not comfortable making changes to the Registry, check out some 3rd party solutions which we have covered…
- Get an Aero Styled Classic Start Menu in Windows 7
- Get the Classic Start Menu in Windows 7 with CSMenu
- ClassicShell Adds Classic Start Menu and Explorer Features to Windows 7
Editor’s Note: The registry hack at the heart of this idea was originally figured out by our friend Vishal over at his Tweaking with Vishal site. Thanks to him for the original find.
- › The Best Articles for Tweaking and Customizing Windows 7
- › The 50 Best Registry Hacks that Make Windows Better
- › The 20 Best Registry Hacks to Improve Windows
- › Windows 11 Is Testing Updates to the Microsoft Store
- › Google Fiber Is Reaching 8 Gbps in Its Latest City
- › How to Transfer Photos from Android to iPhone
- › Midjourney Is Shutting Off Free Access Indefinitely
- › Ubuntu 18.04 Support Is About to End, but Not for Everyone